1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice for Foundation Degree Supporting Teaching and Learning?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by JWMU, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JWMU

JWMU New commenter

Further to my previous post (I was considering HLTA), I have applied to do the Foundation Degree in Supporting Teaching and Learning at my local College in South Cheshire. I decided to do this course as I work on a 1-2-1 with a child with complex needs and this would not enable me to do the whole class teaching that the HLTA status would need. So this qualification would benefit me but not disadvantage the pupils I support.
    I must admit Im really excited about the challenge and am awaiting the official interview to find out more as the college prospectus just has a rough outline of the course.
    Has anyone else that has done this course got any useful tips, information or advice they could give me before I launch myself back into the world of study?

2. Hi,
    I can't generalise for all FdA courses but mine with the Uni of Leicester was very beneficial. I felt that I learned a lot about myself both personally and professionally. When I had completed the first year my Head employed me to cover PPA time because as Hubcap says - it is the same level as HLTA!
    I would highly recommend continuing with your learning journey as I did and 'top up' with the BA (Hons) course after the foundation degree. In total it took me 5 years to get my degree working part time and studying (with a family to consider) but now I have a place on a GTP course for September! I also have no debts unlike my poor children who are at uni now and will owe at least £20,000 in loans, if not more! (But that's another thread!)
    I enjoyed the assignments as my tutors were great, they gave us lots of support with writing skills and building confidence levels as the course went on.
    I really hope you are able to go for it - you won't regret it! I always say the hardest part is applying for it - the rest comes naturally because once you are on the course you just have to turn up and put the work in! For any other FdA Leics students - it's the elephant eating that got me through!
    Good Luck! L x