1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice for a student teacher in reception class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by scaredstudentteacher, Mar 27, 2011.

1. I am thrown in the deep in for my placement and will be teaching a reception class for the next three weeks and don't know where to even start as my head is firmly in KS2. I have little to no experience with this age group except through church groups and it frustrates me as to how little they can do (sorry! :( I wish it didn't). Does anyone have any tips and although this is my third placement I have never had any LSAs in my class before now so would like advice on how I should manage them and use them efficiently. Also during structured play, what do you do? Where do you take observations? What does the LSA do?

Is your lesson planning similar to how it is in upper school? I am sooo nervous and don't know what to do or how to plan for this age group. I probably sound ditzy but I just feel unsure of myself.

I don't think the class do any self-assessment so would it be good to introduce that?

2. Ahhh it doesn't format into paragraphs :(.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Why are you in a reception class? I thought training was for 2 consecutive key stages.

4. I am on a BEd course so we do FS, KS1 and KS2 placements, we can even do placement in a nursery if we want.

5. hello,
    sorry to hear you are having problems. I am an NQT in a reception/year 1 class and so have had to learn a lot very quickly about how to run and manage a class of small children (still learning and changing what I do very regularly!). I am by no means an expert but if you want I can send you an email about what I do in my class, how I manage my TAs and what planning and observations I do. Leave me your email address if that would be helpful.

6. Yes, that would be appreciated

P_u_s_h_2004@hotmail.com

Thanks x

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops.
    Structured play doesn't tie in ery well with the idea of child-initiated though you can guide and enrich play through enhanced provision.
    Self-assessment is a tricky one. I reckon it's best kept informal and incidental with EYs children.

Lesson planning similar to how it is in upper school - absolutely not.

They really are throwing you in at the deep end, aren't they? Have you observed any EYs classes?

9. Hello
    I am new to reception this year and like a previous poster says am often changing ways of doing things.
    I love love love reception and whilst I am certainly no expert, I would be happy to help you in any way I can- I know how scary placements can be especially in a non preferred keystage- although my preference changed after my non preferred placement.
    My email is kicking_katz@hotmail.com please email if I can be of any help at all.
    PFB xx

10. Hi scared student teacher
    Please dont be scared I know its daunting but promise its great just takes a bit to get your head round.
    They have thrown you into the deep end but see it as a brilliant challenge and dont be afraid to do what you've done now and ask for help I'm sure the school or your mentor will be happy to help and people on here.
    A couple of tips- Foundation is all about being in a nurturing environment you need to be firm to keep the beahviour but make sure you keep the learning environment exciting.
    Dont expect them to understand your instructions straight away- use clear instructions and plan for all learning styles, modell everything and make sure your as active and practical as you can be. Dont keep them on the carpet for longer than 15/20mins unless the school wants you to you could very easily loose them.
    Dont think of it as how little they can do- you'll notice the amazing little steps they can make and it might not seem much but in foundation they absorb everything and are constantly learning even through daily routines/manners/personal skills etc.
    Look at the foundation stage profile and the assessment tools they use in the school and ask them how they do it- we use incidental observations and formal ones- incidentals are ones that strike you at any point (Max saw a child crying and asked if shes ok/ Bob counted the milk and tole me we have 10 etc.) Observations happen all the time but dont stand and write involve/extend/support the activities and make quick notes that you can write a little bit more if you think you need it later.
    During structured play you could be with a small focus group or modelling the play environment. The school should help you with this as it will depend how their day runs.
    Planning is completely different to upper school but I see someones sending you some so you should be fine and ask the teacher your with to look at theirs as thats what they will wnat you to follow.
    Do you know the topic they have this term? I can help with ideas if you find out.
    Deffo dont introduce to much self assessment there very little so could struggle with it and if you ask a bunch of 4/5 year olds if they liked the lesson they will prob all say yes, in my class discuss how could we make it better and at the end of a writing focus group before I get the next group I get them to set their own What I want to get better at targets (finger spaces, stay on the line, smaller letters, neater writing) you have to really model this.
    Your LSA is there to do an activity you plan/help set up/support their play- I write up weekly sheets that explain their activities and what I expect from the children so they know what to assess. This will depend on the school/class your in so ask the teacher. The best way is to talk to them they would have been with the class 2 terms nearly so they will know the children and can be a brilliant help just dont let them take control.
    All this advice is linked to my setting so please dont take it set in stone but hope it helps, any other Q's please dont be scared to ask.
    Gem