1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any activities or songs to get to know a group of children?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leigh2911, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Leigh2911

Leigh2911 New commenter

Hi I have an observation for a job next week in a nursery class.
    I am teaching a 20 min phonics activity with 15 children.
    I know what I am doing for my lesson but would like to do something in the beginning like a song or quick activity to get the children involved and find out their names. I haven't got much time but feel it is important to get the children to introduce themselves but would like something more interesting then going around the circle asking them their name :/

Has anyone got any ideas or anything they have tried before?
    Thanks

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I've never had an obs with a nursery class before, but in previous interview obs I haven't spent time getting to know children's names with a specific activity. Just show the teaching. If, during the activity, you can remember and use some of the children's names, that's all to the good

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Fifteen is a lot of names to learn instantly. Take some large stickers and ask their usual teacher or assistant to write their names on. Also avoids mis-hearing and spending the whole session calling Edie Evie.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

When I have been for interviews in recent years, the children often come with a name sticker anyway.

If you want to do something quick to begin the lesson, you could get the children to sit in a circle and pass a ball around. When you get the ball, you say your name, and then everyone repeats the name, clapping the correct number of syllables. So you might start off with the ball and say "Miss Leigh", and everyone else repeats your name, clapping twice: "Miss" (one clap) "Leigh" (one clap). Then pass the ball on, etc.