1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any 2010 YEAR 2 NQT's out there?!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by richard12345, Aug 6, 2010.

1. I can't see a thread for any year 2 teachers to be! Starting to get panicked and excited all at the same time. Am going to start my planning next week ready for sept! Just want to do a good job!

2. I'm an NQT going into Year 2. I am very excited, mixed with terrified at the responsibility of it and all the things I expect I don't know about that I will be expected to do!
    Ours is a two form entry so I can't do my planning until I meet with my 'other half' who doesn't want to meet until the last week of holidays. I have spent time sorting the classroom, including squeezing in a role play area which hasn't exsited in Year 2 up to now. We are going creative curriulum and our first topic is a whole school topic of fairytales. We are doing Hansel and Gretel. That is just a two weeker though and then we are doing Heroes and Superheroes. What about you?

3. Hi, I am an NQT starting with year 2 and would love to be in touch with others in the same position. I am so nervous and have only had experience of lower KS2 and Reception to date.
    I won't be able to plan with my other year 2 teacher until a few days before and so want to make a start earlier but have not been able to access any medium term plans! I know our topic work is going to be about the seaside and I have been madly downloading labels and vocab for my very bare classroom and displays. I won't have a role play area but want to set up a cosy reading corner. Good luck with all your preparations!

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

I've just completed mine in yr 2. If you have any questions about it then do ask:O)

5. I also teach year 2 so am happy to offer any support if needed.

6. Thanks that will be fab!

7. purrrrrfect44

purrrrrfect44 New commenter

Im Year 2 as well :) and very excited about it. Im an NQT so will be my first 'real class' but ive had year two for a placement in my third year of my degree so im a little familiar with the age.

I've been into my classroom with my mum (who is a HLTA in another school) and we have managed to go through all the cupboards, reorganise and throw out lots and then move my things in :). Ive rearranged the tables into groups (rather than rows) and squeezed in a role play area, and art/ craft area so its just how I want it now, but im sure it will change throughout the year.

Its on to planning now, but as with a couple of other comments, im in a two form entry school so am planning with the other year teacher who doesn't want to meet yet, so im waiting twiddling my thumbs as I'm someone who would love to get my teeth stuck into thinking of ideas and planing before the year starts off.

My topic (creative curriculum) for the first term is Light/ Goose fair as we are in nottingham so I have been collecting resources for this topic including, DVDs, posters and material with fairgrounds on it ready for the topic but thats all I can do for now until I meet with the teacher.

Im so excited to start now...like waiting for Christmas :)

8. purrrrrfect44

purrrrrfect44 New commenter

Sorry, for the lack of paragraphs in the above post, I always forget.

Im Year 2 as well :) and very excited about it. Im an NQT so will be my first 'real class' but ive had year two for a placement in my third year of my degree so im a little familiar with the age. I

've been into my classroom with my mum (who is a HLTA in another school) and we have managed to go through all the cupboards, reorganise and throw out lots and then move my things in :). Ive rearranged the tables into groups (rather than rows) and squeezed in a role play area, and art/ craft area so its just how I want it now, but im sure it will change throughout the year.
    Its on to planning now, but as with a couple of other comments, im in a two form entry school so am planning with the other year teacher who doesn't want to meet yet, so im waiting twiddling my thumbs as I'm someone who would love to get my teeth stuck into thinking of ideas and planing before the year starts off.

My topic (creative curriculum) for the first term is Light/ Goose fair as we are in nottingham so I have been collecting resources for this topic including, DVDs, posters and material with fairgrounds on it ready for the topic but thats all I can do for now until I meet with the teacher.

Im so excited to start now...like waiting for Christmas :)

9. Hi, thanks for all the responses! Its great to know there are lots of you out there to help us newbies!
    My first topic is going to be Journeys. Its only a one tier entry in my new school as it's very small so it's just little old me doing the planning and prep! Im okay so far with the maths, science and english planning but its the foundation subjects that Im struggling with at the minute. My school do not follow any schemes of work so it's a case of thinking about what I could do and then relating it to the National Curriculum objectives and seeing where things fit. For geography, I was thinking of each week, looking at different climates; hot, dry, icy etc and getting the children to find out things about these different climates, sort of like a mini investigation each week. I could also link geography to subjects like traffic pollution and how we can prevent pollution. As for history, I was thinking of looking at the history of different transport and/or possible famous people that have made journeys. What do you guys think?

10. I am also an NQT starting in year two in two weeks time aaahh!! like everybody else has said I'm nervous,excited and everything else in between, our topic work is related to the theme 'it came from outer space' I'm not meeting with the other yr 2 teacher until next week until next week, so have just been mind mapping ideas, and getting other things ready for my bare classroom. I am planning on setting up a cosy reading corner for my children aswell, I was wondering what you are going to put in yours to help the children make the most of the area?
    Good Luck with all on-going preparations!

11. I've had a re-think about the geography and after looking on the invaluable QCA site, I've decided to go with An Island Home for my term on journeys. It links so much better and at least I will know the children are learning from all of the relevant objectives.

J

12. Hi!

Not an NQT in year 2 but a GTP with the majority of my year in year 2. I feel like I have no clue about anything at the moment, even though I have been working with children for over 6 years and my degree is in education studies, I guess I'm just terrified!!!! [​IMG]

Any help much appriciated. Don't know if this is cheeky but if anyone in year 2 could send me their long term plan just so I can see the structure of your year.
    My address is aedidds@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

13. slt

slt

Hi,
    I'm also going to be an NQT in year 2 and my topic is also going to be journeys. Like you the school does not follow any schemes of work and I will be following the national curriculum objectives for the different subjects but have decided to use QCA An Island Home as it fits and ensures coverage.
    The sharing of ideas would be useful and how are all of you deciding to set up your classroom. I would like a cosy reading corner.

14. Wow! Great to know we are in exactly the same boat! I would love to share ideas and suggestions with you if you are happy to, makes sense as we are doing the same. I have definitely decided to do An Island Home as it fits so perfectly. For history, I have decided to focus on Christopher Columbus and also the history of transport and how transport compares to what we are used to today. Ive been trawling this site actually for resources and there are some great bits on here.
    J

15. Hi everyone,
    I have just found this. I am also a Yr2 NQTer in my second week. All seems to be going ok so far although haven't had a formal meeting with my mentor yet. Have been doing assessments this week to try and find out where all the children are at after the summer holidays. I'm in an 'outstanding' school so feeling the pressure a bit. Hope everyone else is doing ok!

16. Hi I am also an NQT starting in Year Two. I start after the October holidays. Very lucky as I have this time to prepare!! BUT I havent been told anything at all yet!! I was just wondering if people had sent you examples of their MTP's..I would love to have a look see myself if possible!! I am panicking and massively doubting myself! Trying to look at common topics/ideas for Year Two so I can start downloading/laminating resources as much as poss as im aware that I will have very little time on my hands very soon!!
    dsbake@hotmail.com

I hope you dont find this too cheeky of me!! I hope you have settled in well and that you have a great class :O)

Many thanks

Deana