1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxious & dreading work

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by whirlywoo, Jun 22, 2019.

1. whirlywoo

whirlywoo New commenter

Hello,

I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant (due late November/early December) and last week found out which class I will be teaching next year. Without giving too much detail, I have taught this class before and it was not a pleasant experience. There were difficulties with parents (and some children) and it was an extremely difficult year.

Come September I will be 27+ weeks pregnant, moving classrooms, moving year groups and getting to grips with a new curriculum, and with a notoriously difficult class. Having spoken to the Head Teacher a few weeks ago, I made it clear that I'd be happy in any year group except this one...and yet I'm in the one class I asked not to be in.

This has left me absolutely dreading work. I haven't been sleeping and have done nothing but worry since I found out and there is still a while to go until September. Even going in on Monday leaves me feeling awful. I'm also really worried about the parents' reaction because there were clashes with some which I don't feel strong enough to have again come September, or when they find out I'm teaching their children again.

I have raised this with the Head but it's fallen on deaf ears. Although I think I know the answer (which is, no - suck it up!), is there anything I can do about this?

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

The cynical side of me wonders if they're expecting that you'll start your maternity early at 29 weeks because of it? If necessary, you can be signed off sick so please don't feel pressured into starting your precious maternity leave earlier than you planned!

Speak to your midwife/doctor. Stress is not good for the baby in pregnancy. It puts you at risk of low birth weight and premature birth. Your workplace has a duty of care here.

How long will you have to teach the class before you plan on starting your maternity leave?

They may not be able to change the class, but what exactly are they going to do to support you with them? Are SLT going to support with the parents? I'd hope so.

A lot of my parents are difficult customers this year and I have found that since being visibly pregnant, most daren't shout or be aggressive towards me so have hope! The parents will also know you're not a permanent fixture for their children so this may make them less concerned about you.

After speaking with your midwife/GP, I would also ask for a review of your risk assessment and raise this very clearly with your school backed by medical advice.

You deserve to be supported. Pregnancy is already a stressful and vulnerable time without that stress being unnecessarily increased. You shouldn't have to "suck it up" - they should be looking at how to genuinely make this more doable for you.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It seems odd to give a "notoriously difficult class" to the person who is going on maternity leave. It's hard enough for a maternity cover teacher coming in and taking over midyear, without having a class who probably need some stability. Have they got anyone lined up? It's not just you this could be difficult for!