1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxietyand stress - constant now

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ohajiki, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Thanks for responses, I feel a little better
    I don't like how anti-depressants make me feel - I can't think straightand I lose any motivation to do/any interest in anything - unfortunately this has thrown my distinctly prescription-happy GP out of his happiest solution.
    Private therapy is too expensive which counts that out and I have no idea how long the referral will take.
    I just feel I have wasted lessons with my groups - they have done things but I don't feel it's been enough for them. When I have asked for tips the support has been there but it's mainly to do with observations
    Have rung the out-of-hours doc who has sent me back to my gp - disappearing into the well of bureaucracy.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

You might not have been on ones that suit you.
    What would you call "too expensive"? I thought if you are paying for private medical insurance it might be a possibility.
    Do you mean the NHS referral?

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Have you tried Teacher Support Line?

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

They are brilliant and quick to respond, not judgemental yet respect your anonymity.
    I would say Samaratins if you are happy to think things through yourself, but if you don't feel strong enough (I didn't) then give them a miss.
    Some people swear by St John's Wort (get a good quality one to start off with - cheaper brands are not so strong and have other additives), counter-acts with some other prescription drugs so take advice first (a Google is fine)
    Take care xx

5. I can't take SSRIs - I imagine that's what you've been prescribed so far - for the same reason. But I got on fine with old-fashioned tricyclics, which clobbered the anxiety whilst not affecting how i felt otherwise. Took a few weeks for them to settle down.

6. Hi,

I didn't want to take AD's either, but they are helping now I've worked out when to take them. I used to take them in the mornings and found myself foggy and sleepy and not being able to make sense of anything. Now I take them in the evenings and it's much better.

Have you looked up charity counselling? I do mine through a Christian charity service and although I pay for it most of the time, if I can't afford the full amount or anything at all, then I don't have to. It's worth looking into.

Make sure you spent at least some of the holidays resting and having a life. It's hard to make yourself sometimes but it really does help.

HUG x

7. My private health insurance is part of my partners company scheme - I can be added on for next to nothing.
    Private sessions start at £50 each - something I would struggle to meet.
    In order to give myself a small break I've given my y11s a timed essay which they are struggling to do now and I feel like it's my fault.
    I'm on St John's Wort which helps the panic attacks a little.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi,
    you sound a bit better today- good!
    I know what you mean about feeling it's your fault when pupils don't come up to the mark and I tried the following lesson to reaffirm my self-belief - give it a try and I'm sure it will help:
    Pick a lesson you are confident about teaching and practice it before hand (on your own, with a friend etc..), take it at a slow pace, pausing regularly to check that they understand (or not), don't accept any bad behaviour (have sanctions ready just in case) and do an end-of-lesson written test. Arrange this lesson round the time which you know you will have. If it's going to be too long a session get them to do an evaluation (self or peer or both), if things go well have a reward (this can be at a later date when exam-time is over). If it is an absolute disaster you know it's not your fault as you delivered the knowledge, and they didn't mention that they did not understand. Next step is to ask member of SMT to observe - the class might instantly be better, then you have to discuss with SMT what THEY are going to do about this problem - you are a trained professional but you may need some extra "pointers", or you may benefit from a Teaching assisstant's help.
    Out of curiosity, are you in a private school or ordinary state one?
    Take care xx