1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by eg_1987, Sep 17, 2020.

1. eg_1987

eg_1987 New commenter

Since coming back to school in September, I’ve felt incredibly anxious (apart from COVID) . I started in a new school and find that I respond to situations differently and feel anxious with every basic decision.
    In my last school I was accused of hitting a child- went through the whole process and the outcome was unsubstantiated. I feel it has totally changed everything for me at work. I don’t know how to explain it. I’m not coping, even though I’m in a new school, environment and lucky to have lovely children. I find myself avoiding meeting up with other members of staff and just sit in my room doing work. Any advice would really help. Thanks for reading

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Go see your GP. There are medications that can help with anxiety (the situation you've been through will have mucked with your brain chemistry and medication can give your brain time to readjust to a "safe" environment) and you may be able to get on a waiting list for therapy of some kind. Your employer may also have a confidential helpline you can call and talk to someone about how you're feeling.

I have anxiety. It's not pleasant. Hope you find ways of managing it that work for you.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Make sure your new head knows about this because it may they will be able to offer wellbeing support as your employer.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm glad that at least you sound to be in a good school now, with a healthy working environment - but it's miserable to feel the way you do. It's not surprising at all that you have anxiety after your previous experience, which must have been devastating. Do see your GP; my OH has anxiety and meds are helpful. CBT was even more supportive and gave him strategies to use when the anxiety threatened to overwhelm him. Try to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and do something you enjoy every day.

5. handee2

handee2 New commenter

I am sorry to hear you are struggling but it is a logical reaction to the unfairness of the earlier accusation. I would encourage you to look for support from your GP and to let someone you trust at your new school know what you have been through as it will help the school to look after you. Please do not feel that because someone accused you of wrongdoing you are in the wrong and that it will happen again.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

All of the above for starters.
    Pace yourself. At the end of every day make a little list of things that went well and good choices. At the end of every week, reward yourself however you do that.
    Find one or two amenable looking colleagues and gently engage them.
    Good luck, the world will not always seem to be trying to trip you up.

7. eg_1987

eg_1987 New commenter

Thanks. I found this post helpful. Trying to stay positive- feel like I’ve lost my confidence completely and I’ve started the year not trusting adults or the kids in my class. I’m normally a happy, upbeat person but I just feel negative towards everything, even though it’s a new school.

pepper5, sunshineneeded and Flanks like this.
  8. eg_1987

eg_1987 New commenter

Thanks for your post. I just get so overwhelmed and the smallest things make me irritated. I think I need to open up to someone in school like you said- feel like less of a burden.

strawbs and sunshineneeded like this.
  9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Have you considered some sort of counselling - that might help? I can understand why you are feeling like that though.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This sounds an entirely normal reaction to the trauma you suffered.
    Keep plodding on through and gradually your confidence will return.
    Medication is a great help to get you to a point where you will feel happy again.

Piranha and sunshineneeded like this.
  11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

It is very very easy to feel like the whole world is trying to trip you up, been there done that. Particularly when you have been tripped up!
    Have faith that, mostly, it isn't out to trip you up.