1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by charlotterobs11, Feb 7, 2019.

1. charlotterobs11

charlotterobs11 New commenter

I was diagnosed with anxiety 6 years ago and I have been battling with it on and off since. I was bullied in my previous work place due to my mental health and it knocked my confidence completely. Now I have been working in my current work place for 2 years and they have been very supportive and kind. Obviously this does not make my anxiety and mental health issues disappear, but it does help ease them.

However, recently the stresses and anxiety of work and of home life have gotten too much and I have felt unable to cope. I shared this with my team as I felt like we are a great supportive team, but it kind of did not go how I planned. My head of department told the headteacher without me knowing and all 3 of us ended up in a meeting. I cried for the whole thing as I wasn't prepared for this and was planning on speaking to the head myself once I prepared and planned what I wanted to say. And basically, the impression I got was that I was in the wrong for telling my team. We are in a group chat where we share things - so I shared. Now I'm being told that it was not the right thing to do and it was not a healthy way of dealing with it. I'm so confused and down about this - I have been to counselling for many years and have finally built up enough courage to talk to others about my feelings, and now I feel like I'm being told not to do this anymore....is this right?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Sorry you are so upset. It’s a difference of opinion. You feel it right but others don’t agree. Probably best to share one on one with such personal information.

dunnocks likes this.
  3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

The head has no right to tell you who you are "allowed" to discuss your health with. Try not to let this set you back. You have done nothing wrong. If you had a physical condition e.g. Asthma and were discussing this I doubt it would have got the same reaction.