1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by scott1980, Feb 2, 2019.

1. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Always had some anxiety but it seems to have transferred to my son. Since having him I worry. First at weaning early then the idea of him being mobile. I don't like driving now as I worry for his safety. I also don't like leaving him with others including his dad. Is this normal? Have a feeling there will always be something. How do you deal with this?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think it might be worth seeking out some help for this. Your anxiety does seem to be more than average, although being a mother it will never leave you entirely. Speaking personally my boys are in the back of my mind continually and they are 37 and 40. The level of anxiety you describe might limit what experiences you allow your son to have which would not be good for him. If you could talk this through it might help you to get a better perspective on living with risk, which is a fact of life.

freckle06 likes this.
  3. scott1980

Thanks I will try and talk to the doctor next time I'm there. He goes with me to playgroup and swimming and we have to drive to see family. I suppose having struggled to get pregnant and then having a difficult birth he is so precious to me. Not had that before.

4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

When you become a parent no matter how many parents you have spoken to or how many books you have read nothing can really prepare you for the feelings and emotions you are going to have. Suddenly you have this little person that you love more than anyone and anything in the world and they rely on you for everything.

I think worrying about them is part of the job description but it does sound like what you are experiencing is more than some parents. How old is your son? I think that you need to speak to someone, either your GP or even your health visitor may be able to help.

You will never be able to eliminate the worries completely and as he gets older the worries will only change but you do need to be able to manage them. Being in a state of constant anxiety and stress is going to be impacting on your health, your enjoyment of your little boy and as he gets older your worries may start to impact him.

5. scott1980

He's 5 months. I haven't got a health visitor anymore (long story) but my Dr is good. I try to ignore my anxiety and listen to my husband who is much more laid back. I'm the one returning to work in April so I suppose it's also on my mind.

6. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

Book in to see your GP then. Returning to work is difficult but it really does make you appreciate the time you do have together even more and it is nice to be you again rather than just mummy. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away though and actually the build up of it all could just be exacerbating the problem. It's good that your husband is more laid back but i know that can also cause worry and might be one of the reasons you don't like leaving your little boy with him as you worry if he will be as aware of every potential problem as you.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

scott1980 likes this.