1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety Returns

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by splittinghairs, Jan 30, 2019.

1. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

After nearly a half term off before Christmas with WRS I’ve now begun at a new school and it’s lovely.

Unfortunately, this week I’ve auffered an anxiety ‘relapse’ and have been off all week.

I feel horrific. It’s so much nicer and more welcoming than my last school, I haven’t been treated poorly and haven’t been under undue stress beyond getting to know all the new procedures. Why am I feeling so anxious again and when will it stop.

It’s also a vicious cycle, I’ve heard the new workplace come down very heavily on people for even one day off so I’m now playing every possible scenario upon return.

I feel hopeless and as if I’m never going to be able to get rid of anxiety.

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Perhaps you went back too soon? Try not to worry. You haven’t done anything wrong. Just see how they are on Monday before you judge them. They might be really good. Hope you feel better and please don’t stress. I’ve been off with pregnancy related illness since November and made it in a few days here and there. I’m off until half term and then a 4 week half day phased return. I imagine everyone has been gossiping and goodness knows what they will say when im only in half days. But it’s actually soon forgotten about. Once you go back, after a week everyone has forgotten you were even off. It’s just a job at the end of the day. Don’t let it rule your life. That’s were all the problems begin. Have you spoken to your Gp and CBT? It’s really good. Also some great books out to help. Mindfullness, in the moment stuff etc. Ways to stop worrying about tomorrow and the next day, yesterday and last week. Just concentrate on now and what you can do. My therapist said, you’re worrying about Monday... can you solve it now? I said no, he said then worry about it on Monday lol. xxx

3. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

I haven't been referred to CBT at the moment but I'm starting to think that it may well be the best thing for me. Has it been useful in helping you feel less worried?

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Yes definitely! Although it is the luck of the draw with which therapist you get. He was brilliant and I will always be eternally grateful for the wisdom he shared. The sessions had a real impact on me. I was sad that they came to an end but I knew I had developed skills to get through. You are your biggest investment. Get as much help as you can, read what you can. Listen to Ekart tolle and others on YouTube that talk about the power of now, mindfulness, present moment etc. I’ll try and find some books I’ve read and post them. xx