1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety over reference

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kaitaz, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

After a very difficult term, fraught with many negative issues between myself and the leadership team. I have secured a much-wanted new job. However I am off sick at the moment and my Head is trying to start an investigation regarding my absence. He hasn't yet returned the reference to my new employer. I am extremely concerned that the new job may be revoked should he write in the reference that I am under investigation. The union are involved and are furious that I am being hassled whilst of sick.

Any advice greedily accepted.

2. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

After a very difficult term, fraught with many negative issues between myself and the leadership team. I have secured a much-wanted new job. However I am off sick at the moment and my Head is trying to start an investigation regarding my absence. He hasn't yet returned the reference to my new employer. I am extremely concerned that the new job may be revoked should he write in the reference that I am under investigation. The union are involved and are furious that I am being hassled whilst of sick.

Any advice greedily accepted.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Talk to your union, but personally I would go and see your new employer and tell them the situation without being unprofessional. They will likely find out anyway and it will be better if you have been honest. It may be that the union advise you to put in a grievance based on harassment.

4. I suspect having your job revoked is a worse case scenario. The outcome of this, assuming you haven't resigned, is that your head gets to keep you as a member of staff!