1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anxiety has been transfered to daughter

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by EBC, Feb 20, 2020.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi all,

Thanks for reading. I'll try to keep it short. I suffered with anxiety after having my little one. I've done really well, and believe it's under control. Had CBT and am dealing with the causes.

My daughter is now 7. I've always tried in the past to hide it, but I know she picked up on things. I am now in a place where its under control, but the last few months I can see she is anxious. Doesn't want to be ill, scared of the doctor, scared of being in pain, scared of being sick. These are her words. Because I'm better, I've really stressed that it's part of life, it's okay to have a temperature as it means your body is fighting the infection, all these sorts of things. But I'm not sure how else to help her.
    She had a very simple reason to go to the doctor and she cried going in.
    Its obviously learned behaviour, I just want to help her unlearn it, before it really sticks.
    She doesn't have any other anxiety (at the moment), happy to go out, stay at a friend's, so it's mainly being ill. Mine wasn't 'being ill' by the way.

Any advise?

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

See your GP and ask for advice, but also make an appointment to see her teacher and explain to her/him what you have told us. You should find that the school has EMHS strategies and interventions in place designed to help children suffering from anxiety. In our school, there are short-term interventions carried out by trained staff but children can also be referred to external agencies.

The only thing I would say is that currently many schools, including ours, and external agencies are overwhelmed with children who are suffering from mental ill health including acute or even chronic anxiety so there is likely be a waiting list for those needing help.

In the meantime, I'm sure you will be doing this anyway, but do continue to encourage your daughter to talk about her worries. I also wonder whether she has picked up from the media the worries that adults are having about the coronavirus: I have a feeling we may start to see a lot of children becoming more anxious about this as the virus spreads further.

3. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you. I will speak to her teacher about it. But I know they don't have these things in place, but it's good that they are aware. She has mentioned the word "stressed". I've tried ever so hard this year not to show any anxiety. I do think it's a medical issue at the moment. And yes, the coronavirus etc might be a part of it. Thanks for the advice.

sunshineneeded and Lalad like this.
  4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You're welcome - and well done for reaching this point:

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

There are also lots of lovely books for children this age about anxiety and worries. Google 'books about anxiety for kids' and you'll see loads. Best of luck x