1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety book or app suggestions

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by EBC, Aug 14, 2020.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hello, thank you for reading.

I was wondering if anyone had an suggestions of a good book or app that helps with short term anxiety, as in some thing to read/listen or do, when panic kicks in. I've learned through CBT some great ways to recognise and cope with over thinking and general anxiety. After 4 years I'm doing well, but recently, with covid, I can feel it creeping back to bother me. Years ago I had a book on holiday which was light hearted but with good tips on coping with anxiety when it's at its peak. Something about an annoying neighbour called Fred and how to stop him coming over or bothering you. Lol.... Something like that. Can't remember the name.

I've got the calm app which is good but haven't needed it for over a year.

My worry is I've booked a break away with my little family and i can feel the tightness in my chest already building, and concerns about everything trying to worm its way Into my head. Although I'm talking myself through this, Im scared that I'll get all worked up when away. It's funny as I've coped well before, but with covid feeding on life's anxieties, I could do with an extra boost of support.

Any good books or apps that might help me keep calm and talk me through it?

I remember in the book (with Fred) that there was a section talking about panic attacks and how to cope in the moment. It helped me then.

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Reasons to stay Alive by Matt Haig. It's not for everyone but check it out..............

EBC likes this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

4. strawbs

Hardcore Self Help by Robert Duff, (very sweary)

EBC likes this.
  5. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

I think this is the one I was talking about. Thanks!

strawbs likes this.
  6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Someone recommended me this https://www.smilingmind.com.au/

It's a phone app, with various 'meditations' - some to aid sleep, some to deal with stress and anxiety. There's an SOS one for immediate relief from severe anxiety/panic.

I was sceptical (and almost put off my the references to midfulness), but the sleep ones really do knock me out (usually) and I use it regularaly now. I also used the SOS one once when I was panicking over something.

EBC likes this.
  7. strawbs

The headspace app is free to teachers at the mo I think. I don't actually particularly like it though!

8. strawbs

I was intrigued by your description of it so did a search for self help guide anxiety Fred, and that one did pop up!

EBC likes this.
  9. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Why didn't I think of that lol.

I wasn't sure if it was called Fred.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'm also downloading the app.

You've got me covered. Thanks!

strawbs likes this.
  10. MsaraNG

MsaraNG New commenter

When i feel bad, I like to read my childhood books. Especially The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. It brings so much warm memories about childhood. Not always helps but...sometimes it works

11. markjosef123

markjosef123 New commenter

It is a mobile program, with different'meditations' - a few to help sleep, a few to take care of tension and anxiety. There is an SOS one for instant relief from acute anxiety/panic.

I had been sceptical (and nearly put off my references to midfulness), however, the sleeping ones really do knock me out (usually) and that I utilize it regularaly now. Additionally, I utilized the SOS one after when I was panicking over something. click here

12. christeen_zueh

christeen_zueh New commenter

I don't know about any book and app for anxiety, But yeah you can use CBD oil or CBD favor vape for this. I also have an anxiety issue and I always purchased CBD oil from CouponCodify. This store sales original products at discounted prices.