1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety and dread....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Feb 24, 2020.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Went back in today after half term. The anxiety about going back had kicked in by last Friday. Smoked 3 fags before even leaving the house. The daily rate is good where I am but it's danger money! That's what's keeping me turning up.Behaviour is out of control and not a great deal happens when you report anything. I did permanent teaching for eleven years, been on supply for most of the last three. I think it's getting near to the end of the road of my teaching career. Even the thought of applying for permanent posts fills me with dread. I think I'm just sick of rude and entitled teenagers being rude and bolshy just because they can.

donrickles and pepper5 like this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hope you’re feeling a bit better today.

Spending days on an application to be tick box age diversity fodder has stopped me applying for permanent jobs...

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  3. lovejoy_antiques

Thanks. Honestly not feeling much better about it. Fed up of hiring myself out as a rubber toy to be chewed on and it's resulting impact on my physical and mental health.

suertesamp, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

No job is worth so much stress , try to look at other options and find someone to talk to, a fresh outlook?, take care of yourself

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

I pushed myself to keep working as a supply teacher for ten years. I finally left last year but should have stopped way before I did.

There are other options and opportunities. It might not be easy to escape but it is possible.

6. lovejoy_antiques

Thanks, I'm definitely looking for other options. There must be something inbetween teaching and shelf stacking at Tesco's that I could turn my hand to!

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  7. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I've been there too, lovejoy, though touch wood not too much recently.

Can be soul destroying I know. For myself, I tried and try to concentrate on things to look forward to and forget the daily **** . E.g for myself, I hate the cold and the grey now, and am looking forward to a couple of weeks in April trekking in South Europe with the warm sun on my face.

8. lovejoy_antiques

I had some year eight girls being difficult today. The conversation went something like this.....

Me: please can you stop doing X,y or z thank you.
    Year8a: you're a stranger and I'm not talking to you because I was told not to talk to strangers. I'm not going to talk to you.
    Me: that's a shame, I'll lose sleep over that one.
    Year8b: what, you've invited her for a sleep over at your house.
    Year8a and year8b: we could get you done for that!

I then asked these year 8 girls, just out of interest, how many teachers have they actually got sacked since they started in year 7. They reckoned about four.

The tail is wagging the dog!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Of course, they may be attributing teachers leaving with their efforts. Given their attitude it would not be surprising if Supply Teachers decides not to return after a day or two...

10. lovejoy_antiques

I think the game must work it's not uncommon across lots of school's I've done supply at. Even when I was permanent and established it still went on.

tonymars and agathamorse like this.
  11. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I left supply teaching some three years ago now after about 19 years in the role.

There has never been a day since I have regretted it. In fact I like going to work now.

12. lovejoy_antiques

What do you do now?

Mrs-Pip and pepper5 like this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There are many different roles you could do that are between teaching and stacking shelves, but you may have to do a bit of retraining.

tonymars likes this.
  14. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Don't let the girls rile you lovejoy.

15. lovejoy_antiques

It's not them specifically, it's just the systems that empowers and enables such nonsense and the fact that on supply you are walking a tightrope!

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  16. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Civil Service. Its not a high grade but still allows me to earn more money money then what supply teaching had dropped to in the later years. I have even had pay rises and a bonus. The holiday leave is not as good as teaching but it isn't bad either (and paid for). And I finished at 14:00 hrs today.

There were plenty of times I really enjoyed teaching and only a few I hated it (most of the time was in between) but as my salary dropped over the years it became no longer viable.

I think that as more supply teachers give up on teaching for other jobs schools will find it increasingly hard to impossible to find cover for absences. But then they should have thought of that when they started giving supply roles to cover supervisors.

suertesamp and agathamorse like this.
  17. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

So sorry to hear. Is the bad behaviour happening in the same schools over and over again, or everywhere you go?
    I live in the North East, and some schools are better than others. I'm yet to find one that I'd never go to again.

18. lovejoy_antiques

I've been at the same place on long term supply for a few months now. Some schools are definitely better than others. I think supply/teaching in general is hard until you are established. The trouble is by the time you get established you've hit the upper pay scale and you're on the hit list!

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  19. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Just man up and leave. It takes a load of attrition to get you to that point but when you do, it's a relief. You might go back to it. Don't have such a fixed mindset, do something else. It's fine, go back to it if you feel like it. You need a refresher.

I have taken time out of teaching, but accepted a big stint in addition to running my own business (which is quiet). The staff are lovely, but one of the lab techs (who in this school I have to grovel to) is an ahole. It reminded me of the sorts of people you get in schools. I make a point out of being very nice to her, which probably makes her even more mad. I would not suggest that she probably needs a good pounding!

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  20. lovejoy_antiques

Job hunting at the moment, financially I've taken a few body blows recently hence the need to keep turning up whilst the work is there.