1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anxiety about casual “on call” EA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Tjm6212, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Tjm6212

Tjm6212 New commenter

I just started working with a school division as a casual educational assistant which means every morning at 7am I either get a call asking if I can work, or I don’t get a call and I get the day off. I’ve only worked one shift and becoming so anxious about what will happen the next day. I constantly have dreams about getting calls and over thinking everything. It’s keeping me up in the middle of the night because I’m overthinking and waking me up way earlier than need be. I would really appreciate some tips on how to deal with this kind of anxiety. How do you stay asleep, how to not think about it too much, can I say no?! I’m just stressing so much.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Assume that you will be working every day. Prepare your bag the night before, set your alarm for 6:55. If the call doesn't come, you can just stay in bed and enjoy your day off. But if you work on the assumption that you are going to get a call, it should hopefully take some of the anxiety away, because if it turns out that you don't get a call, it's a bonus rather than something you're half expecting.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hopefully you might get some longer term posts in the future; if s school let you know that you'll be needed for a week or even more, that should relieve your uncertainty and stress.