1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ants

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mancminx, May 12, 2012.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I have them in my kitchen. I cannot find where they are coming from-Im guessing via the kitchen window as most are found on the window ledge and my kitchen worktops with some of the cheeky gits getting into my cupboards. Distgusting.
    But im not sure it is actually there where they are comin from. Is it ok to use ant killer indoors?

Thanks

2. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I have them in my kitchen. I cannot find where they are coming from-Im guessing via the kitchen window as most are found on the window ledge and my kitchen worktops with some of the cheeky gits getting into my cupboards. Distgusting.
    But im not sure it is actually there where they are comin from. Is it ok to use ant killer indoors?

Thanks

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You need to read the instructions on the tin/packet/can about where the ant killer can be used - some are suitable for indoors.
    When my children were small we had ants in the dining room. I used talcum powder around the edge of the carpet instead of ant killer as I was worried about the children getting the ant powder on their skin. It worked.

4. We have something called "Antrid" in Oz, so there's probably something similar in the UK. You only have to put down a tiny amount at a time, and the ants are attracted to it, and take it back to the nest. Safer than having to spray a large area.
    Good luck!

5. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

There are some products you can use indoors.
    We usually get one main ant attack a year and I spray my kitchen window sill (among other things) and let it dry and it usually does the trick.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've used "ant traps" successfully, don't know who makes them. Ants pick up the poison and take it back to the nest so you don't need to put them near food, just nearby where they get in.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ants follow a communal scent trail to food sources, and could be nesting inside the brickwork of the wall. One option is to place a blob of honey on a known ant run to boost the ant traffic along the scent trail so it becomes easier to trace back to its source. Once you can see where the hole in the wall is, treat the area around the hole with ant powder which will be carried back into the nest and will assassinate the egg-laying queen. However, if the hole is on an exposed interior wall you may not want to use powder that could be harmful to kids or pets, or you might want to cover it (ie under an upside down ice cream carton taped to the wall or similar). It might be worth checking the outside of the wall to see if there are any obvious signs of ants there too. It takes a while for the little b*ggers to expire from the powder, so be pati-ant (haha).

8. Can't be *****...is Personal this dead ?