1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Antisemitism, your experience of it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by aypi, Oct 29, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I am 54,I have heard derogatory terms used when referring to various races. I have never heard a single antisemitic statement uttered in real life. I have lived mostly in rural areas, but spent 6 years in cities.

How much have you actually seen?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've seen the SS going to a meeting in Liverpool. I have heard derogatory remarks about Jews in Belfast.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

None ever in real life. I live in a rural area. I don't know if that's significant.

4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I live in North London A jewish boy in our college had a plastic bottle full of urine thrown at him from a car along with anti semitic comments shouted at him.
    Regular casual anti semitic comments against Jewish students and Jews in general that we have to deal with in the schools and colleges myself and partner have worked in. Mostly, but not exclusively, from students of a Muslim background.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Had a lad who got too far into Rothschild conspiracy videos on youtube. Had a habit of seeing everything through that prism.

Had two girls who were of Israeli background. They had to keep that very quiet for fear of some folk of a certain faith getting upset.

Had a "friend" who had the habit of using 'Jew' to mean something bad ... i.e. I Jewed that up.

Mostly it's been online...

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The only incident was a Y6 child saying to another (Jewish) an awful comment about gas chambers.
    He was excluded.
    The only exclusion ever at that school.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As children, we used terms beginning with J to describe anyone stingy with money, despite our lovely generous uncle being physically obviously Jewish (family tree available upon request) because it was, then, Just A Word. Like Scots were tight, Welshie were morose, Irish were thick, Americans were brash, Deanies were mental, and all of them were represented in my family.
    I think even in the 60s, if challenged, we'd have been struggling to justify the comments, and in later years it's a good thing we were either made to explain or shut up.

8. Aquamarina1234

Explain AND shut up, even better.

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I've heard it expressed.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I regular contributor to another forum I use was shot dead in Gaza by Israeli troops in 2003, his name was James Miller. I don't ever recall him expressing anti-semitic sentiments, but his journalistic work was critical of Israeli policy, and he paid for that with his life. He was equally critical of Islamic extremism in his work in Afghanistan.

As with the post by @Aquamarina1234 above, when I was at school in the 1960s and 70s the J word was associated with certain stereotypes, along with other national stereotypes. There was some racism evident in the outer London school I first taught in, but I don't recall seeing anti-semitism.

11. Aquamarina1234

We had no Jewish people in my 'ard line RC school. We were never encouraged in any way to think of Jews as anything other than a bunch of poor saps who didn't recognise the saviour even when he did the honour of appearing amongst them. But nothing else. So the Jew "mean" thing was just for us a word.
    It had no national meaning whatsoever.
    Dear me, no. We were raised to hate Protestants. They enemies of the Pope.

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I experienced it on a flight to vienna. On the flight, the woman ob the other side to me from my MiL turned to me and asked "How can you live with that?"

She'd clocked that I wasn't jewish because I'm every inch a brummie mix of ehglish, irish abd scottish.,

13. Aquamarina1234

If it helps, we weren't long out of Primary before we huddled together asking wtletter next to g?

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Frequently at secondary school along eith every other racial, nationalist, homophobic, sizeist, opthalmic, ablist slur. Teachers confined themselves to teaching and classroom order.
    It wasn't even necessary to be Jewish to be the recipient of as.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

My father was Jewish. My grandmother fled to the States to escape pogroms when she was sixteen. Her entire family died at Auschwitz.

Fast forward many decades. My father returned to the UK, when I was a child, to manage an internationally famous clothing factory. The nearest school to our home (literally 5 minutes away) was a fee paying Roman Catholic Preparatory school. My parents believed that prejudice was a thing of the past. I was enrolled and spent the most miserable years of my life being passive/aggressively bullied because of my heritage.

Decades later, I moved to London and taught in a Jewish primary school where we had numerous lockdowns as a result of pernicious threats.

Since returning to the place in England where I spent my formative years, I have made it my aim to teach my pupils about the experiences of Jews during the rise of the Third Reich and to explain that the demonisation of a group of people could happen again today, ie the Muslim population of our country.

sbkrobson, chelsea2, Lidnod and 4 others like this.
  16. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I don't doubt there are some people who are antisemitic, but I've never personally been engaged in conversation with them. As @Aquamarina1234 describes, the 50s and 60s were rife with racial characterisations, but by far the worse were those directed at people of colour, most specifically Afro Carribean, at least at my school. The odd thing about it was there were no non-white kids in my school and the only time we ever saw anyone who wasn't white in the part of south London I grew up in, was when they worked on the buses.

It was certainly true that Jewish people featured in comedy sketches and series, one particular one that springs to mind being Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width, which for the youngsters on here, was about a Jewish and an Irish tailoring business. It was also true that there was a lot of Jewish comedians whose comedy revolved almost entirely around Jewish culture. Think Woody Allan, Mel Brookes, Joan Rivers and of course, Jackie Mason. It was their stock in trade to single out Jews as being different.

It's a technique used with success by comedians of every race and creed to poke fun at themselves that continues to this day without anyone from their communities getting out of their pram over it. I have to say that I felt uncomfortable at school with the jokes about the windrush generation living off cat food and smelling awful, but I doubt there's ever been a generation of kids that didn't thrive on making jokes about people who were different. Goodness knows what jokes were told during the war years.

These things always come and go in phases depending what's in the news, but in the main, apart from some questions being asked about why Jewish people are more successful in being appointed to jobs in the media, I haven't needed to feel there has been a rise in antisemitism and might be tempted to suggest that those who think there is, are sufferering from psychosemitic disorder.

Of course that doesn't discount the fact that the report on the Labour party suggests that antisematism existed within the party and wasn't quashed as it ought to have been. We have to remember we live in interesting times where social media makes a huge difference to which party wins elections and political leaders rely on advisers who suggest slight focuses of attention could in certain areas might make that fraction of a percentage difference between winning or losing a seat.

I don't for a second believe that antisemitism was ever rife within root and branch Labour politis. It may well have been among some members and it's for the best if they get rooted out. I hope that this episode will cause every party leader to look deeply into the attitides that exist within their own parties. For some it's the racist angle they can work, for others it's the fault of the poor that Britain is the 5hitshow it now is.

The truth is that every political party doen't give a 5hit where their funding comes from, so long as enables them to continue. It's bound to happen that if someone decides to point out that the Tories get more funding from Jews than any other party it'll cause controversy in the Tory media.

The thing we need to remember is that Corbyn the politician rather than party leader was all about social injustice. He spoke out on behalf of the Palastinians, but most of his political carer was spent speaking out for the injustices inflicted on British people. The popular groundswell of support he had when he was elected to lead the Labour party was purely down to his support for the underdogs in Britain. Taking him out of the party isn't going to improve the fortuneds of poor people, albeit it being neccessary to get over this media driven issue.

17. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Funny that you should mention ‘Never Mind The Quality...’ My father randomly met the writer on a train and discussed the concept for the show, as he (and his own father) were in the rag trade.

The main character was named after my dad. :):)

18. thyr

thyr Occasional commenter

Just a thought, reading this.
    Is there any race / religion / ethnic group / religious sect / regional group anywhere in the world where someone somewhere doesn't have a derogatory term for?

19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Lots and lots of horrid comments and "jokes" while living in an area occupied predominately by Hasidic Jews in the 70s and 80s, less so in the 90s. One young boy had his hat knocked off as abuse was shouted at him and the group of lads ran away... extremely unpleasant as was the terms used to describe Pakistani, African and African Caribbean people, it was a horrible time where open racism was on the whole accepted as the norm and the NF gathered in areas nearby and sprayed graffiti to express their views... all very unpleasant.

neddyfonk and nomad like this.
  20. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Established commenter

I once read an interview by a prominent Corbinner, who said,

‘It’s not anti-Semitic to hate the Jews of Israel’

and then later went on to elaborate .....

'Corbyn’s office did not support his suspension from the party in 2016, after he said that Hitler supported Zionism'.

At this time, Starmer was on the front bench. He said nothing at the time. He did not citicise Livingston at the time. He did not speak out against anti-Semitism at the time. All this whilst being both Shadow Immigration minister and Shadow BREXIT Secretary in 2016.

Welcome to the Labour Party.