1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Antifa attacks Sweden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 14, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Whoever the person doing the shooting is.

2. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Ah right. the way you said 'now they're...' it sounded like it was a known person/group now doing something else in addition to whatever else they'd done.

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I don't think nationalist voters are the ones shattering the calm in Sweden, exactly.
    Nationalist vote set to shatter Swedish calm
    Sweden has long enjoyed a reputation for moderation and balance, but is its political landscape about to change dramatically with Sunday's election, the tightest race in decades?

The anti-immigration Sweden Democrats are on course to become Sweden's second-biggest party, after a campaign that has focused on migration and integration.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eu...rwt/sweden&link_location=live-reporting-story

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Thanks Art. Worth having that unusually candid BBC video up here itself:

Excellent journalism.

artboyusa likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

6. ZestyMordant

ZestyMordant New commenter

I don't usually reply to stuff like this, but felt that I had to give some perspective.
    I live in Sweden, I have done for the last 18 months. In fact, my first Friday here was spent in the midst of the terrorist attack in Stockholm with my son.

Today I have voted. For the first time in fact since the Conservatives came to power in 2010. Since then I have lived, worked and paid taxes in 3 different countries. Sweden has been the first of those countries that has allowed me to vote in an election. I have felt strongly about this, I can pay taxes but I can't have a vote to say how they are put to use? I'm not a political person, but this has always got me.

I would just like to say don't see everything reported about here as the truth and the norm. For some reason the English media likes to run down Sweden, report on things then over exaggerate for a point. Where I grew up and my mum still lives, people still burn out cars, do horrible things to each other etc because sometimes people suck.

Over here I can go running at night witb my headphones and feel safe. As do my friends. There's no way I'd do that where I grew up. I can walk into a shop in front of a group of youths and nobody shouts anything. I can get a subway home at night and I'm safe.

I don't really know what I'm trying to work through here, I've enjoyed a bourbon celebrating my vote, but if you want to ask about Sweden let me know.

Thanks for reading my ramble.

lanokia, artboyusa and Orkrider2 like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Thanks for posting it.

Orkrider2 likes this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"Two contradictory narratives" he says. "They can't both be true". But why should they not? All life is opinion.

9. RollingJuggernaut

RollingJuggernaut New commenter

Until members of this group are proven guilty it is legitimate to doubt that this incident - 'attack' is overly dramatic - was committed by Antifa.

10. Vince_Ulam

We cannot rule out Russian tourists.

11. RollingJuggernaut

RollingJuggernaut New commenter

If you wish to change your position and declare that you should have presumed that Antifa are innocent in this case until shown otherwise, just like you presume the innocence of the Russians in the Salisbury incident, then now is your chance to do so. I imagine that you would be respected for the climb down.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm not supporting extremism in any form, BUT (I put it in capitals so you can make something of it) I think you need to consider the perceptions of people whose lives are not totally like yours.

I've worked all my life, apart from the last 5, in inner-city, deprived, multi-racial areas. I have heard parents explaining their fears re the now-extended sharing of limited resources, and yes, there definitely is a feeling of "I know we were immigrants who collected, but now there's an even bigger bunch!"

Makes no clucking difference to me - bit of a tax hike - I'll feel charitable. I can afford it. These people can't. You must try to see it from the pov of people who will lose out massively by sharing. It's not your pot they share from.

13. Aquamarina1234

I just lost a post. Again.
    Presume I support the liberal vw whilst understanding the view of the underclass.

14. Aquamarina1234

Clucked. 10 mins later it reappears. I live in a metropolis. Why does it take so ongoing???
    Long was the word. Sigh.

15. Vince_Ulam

Now Greece:

Antifa need to be outlawed as an international terrorist group.