1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Antifa attacks Sweden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Can someone point me to reports that confirm this was down to antifa, or has anything to do with immigrants and/or increasing diversity please. Genuine request as can't find anything that confirms their involvement.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

4. Vince_Ulam

Let's not be sexist. There are far-right fan-girls who practise free speech:

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The only reference to their identity I've found was on this BBC piece...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45181321

upload_2018-8-15_13-20-5.png

So authorities aren't letting on...

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do you have anything to back up saying ''far-right fanboys'' because your question was nonsense?

Expressing shock at nearly 100 cars being burnt is enough for you to throw your pathetic slurs around...

lexus300 likes this.
  7. Scintillant

You comments are what they are.

What has happened to Sweden? Tell us.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

What part don't you understand?

9. Scintillant

How does being "enriched by vibrant diversity" mean cars end up being torched?

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So we're just presuming it's a group you don't like.

What aren't they letting on? They've said they know some of the people who were in the area, but that's not proof that any of them were involved with the fires. What are you presuming is being hidden and why?

11. Vince_Ulam

You may do as you wish. Until I have contrary information I am accepting that this is the work of a group which has previously acted in this very way in many times and in many places.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm presuming that the identity of the individuals is being restricted... as reported in the BBC report.

13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I didn't read it like that. I read it as they knew who was in the area but couldn't prove whether any of them were involved.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"Hooded youths" did it, we're being told...those crazy Swedes.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

How indeed? Some interesting thoughts here (and I can confirm what she says about Malmo, btw).
    Opinion
    Sweden’s ugly immigration problem

[​IMG]
    Margaret Wente
    Published September 11, 2015 Updated May 15, 2018
    I
    Sweden has the most welcoming asylum policies and most generous welfare programs in the European Union. One typical refugee, Natanael Haile, barely escaped drowning in the Mediterranean in 2013. But the folks back home in Eritrea don't want to know about the perils of his journey. As he told The New York Times, they want to know about "his secondhand car, the government allowances he receives and his plans to find work as a welder once he finishes a two year language course." As a registered refugee, he receives a monthly living allowance of more than $700 (U.S.).
    Sweden's generous immigration policies are essential to the image of a country that (like Canada) prides itself as a moral superpower. For the past 40 years, most of Sweden's immigration has involved refugees and family reunification, so much so that the words "immigrant" and "refugee" are synonymous there (unlike in Canada).
    Sweden takes in more refugees per capita than any other European country, and immigrants – mainly from the Middle East and Africa – now make up about 16 per cent of the population. The main political parties, as well as the mainstream media, support the status quo. Questioning the consensus is regarded as xenophobic and hateful. Now all of Europe is being urged to be as generous as Sweden.

So how are things working out in the most immigration-friendly country on the planet?
    Not so well, says Tino Sanandaji. Mr. Sanandaji is himself an immigrant, a Kurdish-Swedish economist who was born in Iran and moved to Sweden when he was 10. He has a doctorate in economics from the University of Chicago and specializes in immigration issues. This week I spoke with him by Skype.

"There has been a lack of integration among non-European refugees," he told me. Forty-eight per cent of immigrants of working age don't work, he said. Even after 15 years in Sweden, their employment rates reach only about 60 per cent. Sweden has the biggest employment gap in Europe between natives and non-natives.

In Sweden, where equality is revered, inequality is now entrenched. Forty-two per cent of the long-term unemployed are immigrants, Mr. Sanandaji said. Fifty-eight per cent of welfare payments go to immigrants. Forty-five per cent of children with low test scores are immigrants. Immigrants on average earn less than 40 per cent of Swedes. The majority of people charged with murder, rape and robbery are either first- or second-generation immigrants. "Since the 1980s, Sweden has had the largest increase in inequality of any country in the OECD," Mr. Sanandaji said.
    It's not for lack of trying. Sweden is tops in Europe for its immigration efforts. Nor is it the newcomers' fault. Sweden's labour market is highly skills-intensive, and even low-skilled Swedes can't get work. "So what chance is there for a 40-year-old woman from Africa?" Mr. Sandaji wondered.

Sweden's fantasy is that if you socialize the children of immigrants and refugees correctly, they'll grow up to be just like native Swedes. But it hasn't worked out that way. Much of the second generation lives in nice Swedish welfare ghettos. The social strains – white flight, a general decline in trust – are growing worse. The immigrant-heavy city of Malmo, just across the bridge from Denmark, is an economic and social basket case....
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/swedens-ugly-immigration-problem/article26338254/

lexus300 likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Thank you.

Making a sensible argument is much better than thinly veiled intimations about muslins / refugees.

Can you explain the connection to the burning cars?

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Strasbourg will be upset, they regard themselves as the car burning capital of Europe.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This seems to be the biggest difficulty on a macro scale...

Economists tell us we need more and more people to sustain our ever ageing populace. Spain for example has been told it need 5 million immigrants even when 3.6 million young people are unemployed.

Yet those migrants bring costs. They are usually young so they start families ... that's a cost on health services and education. We see this in the UK where the NHS and schools have more funding than ever yet per head it isn't sustainable. If migrants were high wage earners paying above consumption taxes then we could maintain services. As it is we're floundering.

I don't see how the welfare state (a good thing) is compatible with free flow of human beings that we've seen in the last two decades.

artboyusa likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Who is 'they'?