1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anti slip paint? Long post, sorry!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. We have dreadful neighbours - loud, unpleasant and rude. We are quiet at home and don't give them any bother at all. We don't complain when they come home late most Sundays and blast their music until the wee small hours, or when they flick their fag butts straight out their side window downstairs and they land on our path. We are just 2 hard working people who just want a quiet life really and have decided just to smile and nod when we see them and leave it at that. The fence panels between our gardens are our responsibility. When they collapsed in the wind at Easter, we decided to have a wall built, which cost quite a lot of money. It has given us a bit more privacy in the back garden. Imagine my horror as I was cooking dinner when I saw 8 or 9 year old son of neighbour, who doesn't live with the mum but visits every other weekend, sitting on the top of the wall and climbing into our garden. My husband was calmer than me and went out and asked him to go back to his own garden and let him out the back gate. I am annoyed that our defences have been broken and would like to do the old fashioned placing of broken glass on top of said wall, as my granny would have done, but of course I can't. Anyone got any ( sensible! ) ideas of how we can stop this. Talking to the nutty neighbours won't help, as they were in the garden this evening and were laughing at the lad. Help!!

2. We have dreadful neighbours - loud, unpleasant and rude. We are quiet at home and don't give them any bother at all. We don't complain when they come home late most Sundays and blast their music until the wee small hours, or when they flick their fag butts straight out their side window downstairs and they land on our path. We are just 2 hard working people who just want a quiet life really and have decided just to smile and nod when we see them and leave it at that. The fence panels between our gardens are our responsibility. When they collapsed in the wind at Easter, we decided to have a wall built, which cost quite a lot of money. It has given us a bit more privacy in the back garden. Imagine my horror as I was cooking dinner when I saw 8 or 9 year old son of neighbour, who doesn't live with the mum but visits every other weekend, sitting on the top of the wall and climbing into our garden. My husband was calmer than me and went out and asked him to go back to his own garden and let him out the back gate. I am annoyed that our defences have been broken and would like to do the old fashioned placing of broken glass on top of said wall, as my granny would have done, but of course I can't. Anyone got any ( sensible! ) ideas of how we can stop this. Talking to the nutty neighbours won't help, as they were in the garden this evening and were laughing at the lad. Help!!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Do you mean anti-climb paint? It won't do any good as you are not entitled to paint their side. Start a civil action for trespass.

4. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Nasty prickly gorse bushes just on your side of the wall.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

or smear dog turds on the top

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You need to check the law on this but you are not entitled to place any sharp object on top of a wall under 7 feet i think..beyound the reach of normal people. The fact a child can scale the wall indicates they have either got something leaning up against the wall for him to climb upon.or he has been boosted up..assuming your wall is 6 foot high
    You can put plastic strips with plastic spikes on to the top of the wall if it cant be reached by a 'normal' person. these can be stuck on or drilled and srewed on
    You cant put broken glass or barbed wire without the wire being facing inwards to wards yourself and a warning attached on the wall on the opposite side.
    You could put vandel paint in top of the wall .again with notices.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You are allowed to put anti-climb paint on the top of the wall, as it's your wall. But you have to put a warning sign! The world has gone mad, that you have to warn people you have taken reasonable but not dangerous steps to stop someone doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place. I'd go with the prickly bushes. Blackthorn is particularly viscious and you get the added benefit of sloes off it. Or let the nettles grow good and tall under the wall.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

actually you could grow pyracantha up the wall and on the top but you would need to maintain it so it doesnt get out of hand

9. bumblingbee

bumblingbee New commenter

I reckon the way to go (although it will take a little time) is a lovely set of rambling and climbing roses. Some of them have wicked thorns!. Species roses also seem to have lovely flowers, evil thorns and spectacular hips. Win, win, win!

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have that on the frame above the tall side gate at my rental property. It makes it impossible for anyone to put their hands on the frame and haul themselves up but no-one injures themself if they try.
    I have lots of prickly plants growing up the rear wall/fence, which backs onto parkland. The parkland is in a dip so the top of my boundary fence is more than 7 foot from the ground on the other side, allowing me to have barbed wire across the top, overgrown with prickly brambles etc.
    The OP probably wants a solution that is aesthetically pleasing, so I'd suggest nailing trellis panels to the wall, with the panels adding to the height of the boundary wall. Grow any type of climbing plant up and along the trellis.

11. Plastic spikes (called prikka strips) might work - make sure you use the proper adhesive so they don't peel off - but Pyracantha is fairly quick growing and very dense. It is also not prone to blight or disease. Yes, it does need regular pruning to stop it getting too bushy but probably only a couple of times a year. Once the top has reached 7 foot or more you could even weave some barbed wire into the upper branches but that will take some care so you don't injure yourself.
    I doubt that trellis would last very long with a kid on the other side.

12. Thank you all so much for the advice. I've googled the plastic strip things and they look like they might do the job. I've also had a look at some of the plant suggestions too. I think we need to spend next weekend at the garden centre before making the final decisions, but thank you. :)