1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anti-manspreading chairs wins award.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by keyboard2, Jul 17, 2019.

1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Laila Laurel, left, has created an anti-manspreading chair, pictured right, which forces men to keep their legs together while also designing a chair for women, with a wooden block strategically placed to make it less attractive to men.

Not if they consider the strategically-placed block to be a "lunchbox tray" to lift and enhance their natural assets it won't, young Laila!

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So men's chairs and women's chairs?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We need to get the air round our bits just as much as the girlies do!

5. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

Why could not either gender use the other type of chair?

So the idea is men should use a seat designed to force their knees together and women should be using a seat with block to keep their knees apart.

Seems like a way to reverse the situation rather than stop one gender from spreading their knees.

peter12171 and nomad like this.
  6. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

It would make sense if it was a row of tube seats, a bench or a sofa... something that more than one person actually sat on.

And anyway, wouldn't you just turn the chair around and sit on it backwards? I can imagine it would be far more comfortable that way.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Smacks of enforced modesty-wear or other controlling equipment. Obviously it's allowed and has won an award because it's anti-male. I wonder if a updated scolds bridle would go down so well, after all, some women do go on a bit. If man spreading is bad, why is woman spreading good?

nomad likes this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Ridiculous.

peter12171, FrankWolley and nomad like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Dear Indignant Responders
    I agree. It's heartbreaking how society tries to control men all the time.
    It's time this nonsense stopped!

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

And probably not very effective.
    It reminds me of a bed sheet which appeared on Dragons Den a few years ago-it had a prominent seam running down the middle to prevent partners rolling from their side to the other, when actually the only effective way of preventing your partner doing this is to simply make sure they have a prominent different address.

11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Its not manspreading, its natural body language which applies to both sexes when they are relaxed and interested in whatever person tickles their fancy. It just so happens that men are often more blatant about their proclivities.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Can you smell fish?

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Hasn't it just replaced manspreading with womanspreading?

EDIT, Oh sorry, I see a lot of other people have already said this :rolleyes:

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

#EverydaySexism

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's poor etiquette and really annoying on public transport.

16. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Neither look very comfortable and as a person of a certain age I worry about the lack of arm rest to facilitate sitting and rising without the middle-aged, "Oof!" which so often sneaks out.

17. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes New commenter

So it encourages women to spread their legs and prevents men from doing so, does this lady get that folk are allowed choice and it's not just her space

(I'm a girly despite my user name)

nomad likes this.
  18. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

I think that's probably her point.

19. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

21st century 1st world problem solved. Now what about this lady...?
    [​IMG]

nomad likes this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And this one...

[​IMG]