1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anti LGBT posts

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by maggieDD, Aug 7, 2019.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

A Christian colleague has posted an anti-LGBT post on social media saying how Christians have the right to take their children out of LGBT lessons. Are they within their right to do this?

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Of course (s)he has the right to do this.

FormosaRed and briancant like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hmmm...I think you might want to look at the type of language used (it could be seen as inciting a hate crime, depending on what it says), and also this:

Parents cannot veto children taking part in LGBT lessons, Education Secretary says

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educati...-children-taking-part-lgbt-lessons-education/

Which I take to mean the answer is a big fat 'No' (despite post #2)

So maybe copy post and send to HT? Or have a quiet word and tell colleague they may well be doorstepped by the tabloids any day now if they don't remove it...;)

4. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Thank you. I'm intrigued by the polarized responses! Whilst I understand that people are entitled to have these beliefs, I don't think that advertising them on social media is appropriate, especially when an individual in their class has two mothers

5. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

The problem with people deciding what their children should be taught based on their own religion, politics, background etc is where does it end? If a parent decides that they don't want their child taught about slavery or the holocaust would this so called christian? support them in withdrawing their child.

I believe the 'christian' or any parent does have every right to ask to see the materials being used and to discuss with the school how this topic is being covered if they feel very strongly about this issue. Yes the school should be aware that some people have strong views about these topics and should be open to discussion and should do all they can to work with parents.

Has the 'christian' teacher explained their reasons for expressing this view and are they prepared to listen to other people's points of view. Does expressing this constitute a 'hate crime' perhaps. It certainly does not sound like the voice of reason and tolerance.

Why do some Christians appear to be so full of hate and intolerance? I am making a few assumptions here but, with some sadness, I suspect that this person does not believe in a god of love.

agathamorse and ridleyrumpus like this.
  6. FrankWolley

They have every right to ASK to see the materials used, but the school does not (as far as I know) have to accede to the request...

7. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It's a bit of a grey area to be honest. Parents do have the right to withdrawn children from sex education, but not relationships education. Some people will regard LGBT as relationships, others as sex. Probably needs a judge to decide, or parliament to pass a clear statement in an act to be honest.

FormosaRed and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Good point - I suppose my view would be that when a school is introducing a topic that some people may object to, a little diplomacy and openness might go a long way, hopefully?

9. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I am a primary teacher so the extent to which LGBT education will be covered is limited to "different families.
    I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, holymahogany, I simply do not understand how anyone with "Christian" values can be so intolerant. Bizarre.

agathamorse and strawbs like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

With colleagues such as yourself as social media friends/followers, they are very naive to post such things.
    Teachers have been disciplined for less.

The only person who gets to make a decision about whether this was ok or not in the first instance is the head. And they will only know if someone runs telling tales.
    They may decide a quiet word about being more careful on social media is enough. (And hopefully recommending that the person concerned removes all colleagues as clearly some are out to rat on them.)
    They may however decide to go down the route of a full on disciplinary investigation and hearing, which is horrific for anyone.

If I were you, I'd leave the colleague to post what she so chooses... she isn't insisting that you agree.

Pomza, nomad, Piranha and 2 others like this.
  11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I meant in my post that the person has the right to post their opinions on social media. Should have read the first post properly! :rolleyes:

12. thyr

thyr Occasional commenter

No of course they can't. They are Christians and have had the same general view of homosexuality for 2000 years. For most of that time the secular world has agreed with them.
    Now of course we know better. Anyone who disagrees with us is now intolerant and bigoted and must be exposed and ridiculed.
    How dare they have a different view to the rest of society.
    NB: this is not at all the same as those a couple of generations ago who spoke out against society to make homosexuality acceptable. Totally different

FormosaRed, briancant and Flanks like this.
  13. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If not, are you saying that some people have the right to object or deny an individual's sexual orientation?
    One's religious beliefs are a choice. One's sexual orientation isn't.
    If a school refused to acknowledge the existance of ethnic minorities it would be rightly lambasted. Why any different for sexual orientation?

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You cannot say that this is an anti anything post. It is an (attempted) assertion of fact, that X has the right to Y.
    Unfortunately X and Y are two very hot potatoes, Christians and LGBT people. Your question about whether they are allowed to do this demonstrates that. The post has awoken sensitivities within you.

Here's an analogy-
    "Under age children are allowed to return faulty packets of sweets to shops"

Well, you could raise an alarm about why underage children are mentioned, or you could go on a health mission about buying sweets, but the statement remains true-it is a substatement of "consumers are allowed to return faulty goods".

The statement in your post is simply a substatement of "parents are allowed to ask for their children not to do certain lessons"

In my experience, all HTs I have ever worked for have deferred to parental requests for lesson exemption. PE, RE, MFL, PSHE. All of them. They don't happen often, and they always represent parental sensitivities. HTs are hard placed to argue.

To definitively answer whether your colleague had the right to post what they did, I suppose you could find out in school if parents will get one of those group messages-"Your child will be learning about bla bla, please contact the school if you do not wish them to take part". My sixth sense tells me that your colleague may have seen something like this, and are using that to extrapolate an implication for Christians.
    That's their right.
    Whether their use of social media is appropriate given their role as your colleague is another question.

FormosaRed and Flanks like this.
  15. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

I wouldn't see this post as a safeguarding concern.
    They obviously have different views to you.
    I think the best course of action would be to unfollow them on social media. You can have a quiet word with them and explain why. You could also say why it may not have been the smartest thing to post.
    As for reporting them to the head? Not in a million years. I can't believe people are suggesting that you drop a colleague in it for this. You could seriously hurt their career.
    You could argue that they were wrong to give incorrect information, but not wrong to hold the view that parents should have the right to take their children out of sex and relationship education. They also have the right to see homosexuality as at odds with their religion.
    Their opinion may not be popular, but I think they have the right to hold it.
    I think the only issue would be if they were tasked with delivering these lessons. They wouldn't be able to be objective.
    (Disclaimer: their views do not reflect my own. It's more of a case that I disagree with you, but I'll defend to the death your right to hold your view).

16. FrankWolley

I think a lot rests on the actual language being used - 'free speech' doesn't give one a carte blanche to use language that might, for example, be thought to lead to hatred of a group due to their colour, ethnicity, sexual preference, gender or even religion etc.

17. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

This is what I don't understand. People who use their faith as a reason why children should not have LGBT education seem to think that homosexuality is a choice.
    Sexual orientation is NOT A CHOICE.
    It's exactly the same as if you were to refuse your child being taught about equality for all races. Should letters go home warning parents about children having lessons on Black History month?
    It is ridiculous that anyone of faith can deny homosexuality. It is a fact - just as being black is a fact.
    And I feel unbelievably sorry for the victims in a faith group that hold these bigoted ideas, who are themselves gay and would never be able to be themselves. Hardly 'Christian' is it?
    This individual in question will be working with a recently adopted child who has two mums. I am very concerned that their prejudice will be inflicted on this family.

LunaBlue123, ridleyrumpus and strawbs like this.
  18. FrankWolley

19. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Referring to my original post - the post in question is promoting a protest campaign event this weekend, so it isn't just a bigoted opinion, it's advertising a dangerous and ignorant movement.
    Furthermore, I have informed the event organisers and they have taken action against it.

20. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter