1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Anti-homophobic' interventions: seeking male teachers to participate in a research study

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SimonLeggatt, Sep 18, 2018.

1. SimonLeggatt

SimonLeggatt New commenter

Are you a male secondary school teacher?

Can you spare an hour to be interviewed by me? (I will come to you)

I am a teacher trainer at the University of Greenwich and PhD student at the University of Roehampton. The research study has full ethical approval.

I would be very interested in talking to you via the mechanism of a semi-structured interview lasting approximately one hour about:

· Your experiences growing up (including ‘sex education’ inside and outside of school);

· How you ‘deal with’ homophobia in your classrooms / school;

·
    The role and influence of school ‘culture’ in the institutions(s) where you (have) work(ed).

One of the key potential benefits of participation is an opportunity to share in best practice. As the desired impact of the study will be a series of recommendations for changes to the way teachers are trained, your contribution has the potential to improve the effectiveness of interventions aimed at tackling homophobia. The researcher is fully aware that participants may have concerns associated with maintaining anonymity and confidentiality. The researcher is fully aware of the ethical considerations associated dealing with a topic that is potentially personal and sensitive. Details of the robust data protection measures that will be put in place will be supplied on request.

If you are interested in participating please contact me for further details:

Simon Leggatt
    Director of Student Experience and Employability
    Faculty of Education and Health
    University of Greenwich
    Avery Hill Campus - Mansion Site
    Bexley Road, Eltham
    London SE9 2PQ
    020 8331 7669
    s.k.leggatt@gre.ac.uk