1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anti depressants

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sunny321, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi
    I need your advice in regard to taking anti depressants in our line of work. I've had a lot of issues to deal with in my private life. It's been going on for a long time now but isn't as harsh to take in as it was. I'm also trying to find a job. This is the one thing I have left to sort out but the chaos and hurt of other things that occurred still linger and depress me too.
    I've been thinking off and on whether to go on anti depressants. I'm worried though about my medical record. Agencies always ask you a multitude of questions in regard to this and at some point I think I was asked to declare anything like depression/anxiety when I got a permanent job. Bottom line is I don't want anti depressants to stop me from getting future work. Am I worrying about nothing in this regard? I've heard of people not getting onto teacher training courses because they've declared they were on Prozac.

2. Hi
    I need your advice in regard to taking anti depressants in our line of work. I've had a lot of issues to deal with in my private life. It's been going on for a long time now but isn't as harsh to take in as it was. I'm also trying to find a job. This is the one thing I have left to sort out but the chaos and hurt of other things that occurred still linger and depress me too.
    I've been thinking off and on whether to go on anti depressants. I'm worried though about my medical record. Agencies always ask you a multitude of questions in regard to this and at some point I think I was asked to declare anything like depression/anxiety when I got a permanent job. Bottom line is I don't want anti depressants to stop me from getting future work. Am I worrying about nothing in this regard? I've heard of people not getting onto teacher training courses because they've declared they were on Prozac.

3. If you've had time off from a job because of depression, you don't have to state the reason on your application. The interviewers are however entitled to ask at your interview what the nature of the illness was.
    I have never been asked if I am being treated for depression or if I take anti-depressants. I have had depression, time off for it and took ADs for 13 years. In that time I have have taught on a contract and via an agency, and now do something else. No-one asked.

4. That's absolutely right Lily. See here http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/guidance-for-employers/recruitment/interviews-meetings-and-tests/
    The particularly relevant bit is
    "What mustn’t I ask an applicant?
    You must not ask questions about someone’s protected characteristics unless these are very clearly related to the job (for example, because one of the exceptions applies). This is because it matters how you use the answers to the questions:
    • If you decide not to employ someone just because of a protected characteristic, unless it comes within the exceptions, this would be direct discrimination.
    • In particular, you must not ask questions about health or disability, including about someone’s sickness absence record. There are some very limited exceptions to this which you can read about at page Occupational requirements."
    So, if any employer asks that question, and you don't get the job, they would be on a very very sticky wicket explaining themselves at the subsequent tribunal!

5. Isn't there a risk then that employers look at any spell of time off with deep suspicion?

6. I guess they just have to handle it how they would any period off, or any other item on the application that looks peculiar.
    Maybe the attendance at a second rate former Polytechnic, over attendance at a nice established Uni., or the declaration of a criminal convinction for example.
    Still, it's enshrined in the law now, if they ask you the question they are opening themselves up to trouble.