1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anti- bullying week

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Gardening Leaves, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

This week is Anti-bullying week. The silence from the unions is deafening.

There is already a great thread on here discussing the role of unions in challenging workplace bullying, so I don't propose to go over old ground. I am interested, however, in what might be done to persuade unions en masse to effectively challenge workplace abuse where it exists.

As a starting point, a fellow poster here has recently u.covered that no teaching union has EVER taken a bullying claim to court for a member. Not one. Ever.

2. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

This week is Anti-bullying week. The silence from the unions is deafening.

There is already a great thread on here discussing the role of unions in challenging workplace bullying, so I don't propose to go over old ground. I am interested, however, in what might be done to persuade unions en masse to effectively challenge workplace abuse where it exists.

As a starting point, a fellow poster here has recently u.covered that no teaching union has EVER taken a bullying claim to court for a member. Not one. Ever.

3. Whilst we have umteen unions, all with bosses on more than a teacher will ever see in yearly salary (or can dream of), sweet FA I'm afraid GL. Why should they bother? We are stupid enough to pay our fees each year, for very little come back. If you add up how much you spend on fees each year over the course of your career, it is very much more cost effective to just hire a solicitor if you ever need one. Sorry to be so very cynical but on recently contacting my union and being told 'yes, most of the schools in this area are ignoring the workload agreement and PPA' by my local rep it sort of made me want to bang my head against a wall in dispair. Yes, it might well love, but its YOUR job to at least go in and tell them they are breaking the law, even if it doesn't actually acheive anything. Just accepting it just makes the situation the pile of poo it is in this country (hence my jumping ship).
    The only way teachers will ever get a step forward (and not just lip service that in real terms doesn't actually equal better work/life balance etc) is for there to be a single, strong union, with us all standing shoulder to shoulder. As there are many teachers quick to stab each other in the back, and certainly not support collegues in areas such as supply, this is part of the problem. On one hand people compain of this and that being done wrong, but on the other a) don't have the backbone to stand up to it and b) are so busy being children themselves to stand together over the bigger issues.
    Add in of course that the ones doing the bullying are very often the ones we are meant to complain to and go through hoops with in order to resolve things - broken system anyone?

4. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

When I was given a hard time in my previous school and observations went from outstanding to inadequate I was told by my union rep to accept SLT's judgement as they were only trying to help. I knew I was being bullied/managed out of a job as I was too expensive on UPS2. My regional rep wasn't much help either. No one believed that I felt bullied. I have never ever thought about the concept of bullying either. I resigned, rather than be put on formal capability . Luckily, I have a job, but not sure how long this will last. School's budget is in dire straights so who knows. Keep on asking myself if I will be over observed and bullied out of a job for being too expensive again. The unions really ought to be doing something.

5. One union ? Realistically it not going to happen. However unions collaborating might if members could be made to realise what should be obvious -- They must work together if any of them are to be effective.
    I suggested elsewhere that, particularly in schools where they know there are problems with workplace bullying, unions consider matching compromise agreements so as to remove the gagging clauses which protect the bullies and hide the abuse. Further again -- the unions should be jointly campaigning for the reference system to be changed so that HT reports are no longer required to support job applications -- It is very clear that the current system is abused by many (possibly most) HT's. We have all heard about or have experience of bad teachers being given excellent references to help get rid of them and good teachers being given poor references to retain them. On the same subject, even 'decent' HT's who are aware of a subbordinate who is a bully might be tempted to give the bully a good reference to getrid of him and justify the decision an being the best thing for the school.

6. Or possibly every other week.

7. This year it's a month.

http://www.antibullyingweek.co.uk/