1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anthony Browne picture book and activity for KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I absolutely love the Anthony Browne books, and I have an interview lesson coming up with a Y3 or Y4 class.
    I would love to read one of the books and give the class a short activity (10-15 mins) and then there would be time for some feeding back of ideas.
    Please can anyone recommend one of the books and a possible follow up activity. I don't have any of the books any more, so rather than buy them all, I would be really grateful for a recommendation.
    Many thanks

2. takethatno1fan

I absolutely love the Anthony Browne books, and I have an interview lesson coming up with a Y3 or Y4 class.
    I would love to read one of the books and give the class a short activity (10-15 mins) and then there would be time for some feeding back of ideas.
    Please can anyone recommend one of the books and a possible follow up activity. I don't have any of the books any more, so rather than buy them all, I would be really grateful for a recommendation.
    Many thanks

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. takethatno1fan

thanks Marlin, I hadn't thought to do a search! Doh!!!

5. hi have u thought of "Voices in the Park". its about 4 different perspectives of a trip to the park and 2 childrens interactions with their adults and each other. good starting point for literacy- looking at audience maybe or even phse considering others view points and feelings etc?
    depends what u looking for i suppose . hope this helps and good luck

6. takethatno1fan

Thanks pengibobs. It's so hard to choose one of the stories as they are all so fantastic.
    I think I'm leaning towards The Tunnel and asking children to describe what they see when they get to the end of the tunnel. Finishing with hot seating.

7. takethatno1fan

Just trying to decide how to use props without leading them, and whether to use music to stimulate their imagination.

8. I think it is called The Tunnel about two children who go through a tunnel and come out into a land which if you look at the pictures has fairy tale characters and a forest. I Have used this and read the story as far as going through the tunnel and then stopped the story and asked the children to describe what they will find the other side. then finish the lesson showing the children pictures of what is the other side either by scanning them or using a visualiser.

9. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Think the forest stalia's talking about is in "Into the Forest". The first picture in that book is a good stimulus for descriptive writing about a storm - a poem perhaps.

10. zza-zza

zza-zza New commenter

Anthony Browne is fab!
    I've used The Tunnel with several age groups. One activity is to read the story up to where Rose reaches the tunnel, then ask the children to decide whether she should follow her brother. Play 'conscience alley' where the children have to give their reasons for and against Rose going into the tunnel. Follow up with each child writing a note in character to leave at the entrance to the tunnel explaining what they have done.

11. Hi there,

I am having the sam edilemma!! I want to use The Tunnel by Anthony Browne with a Year 4 class.. what did you do? Ideas from the lesson MUCH appreciated.

many thanks,
    Jude

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

yes it is
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/The-Tunnel-Anthony-Browne-Slideshow-6012841/

13. Hi ZZa-ZZa

I am in need of advice!!! FS & KS1 person here being asked to support colleague in Y5 to do one off lesson using The Tunnel trying to make it practical with elements of speaking & Listening , Reading & Writing. Any ideas???????????? Like the idea of conscience alley and was thinking of then giving pictures from book where children add thoughts for and against-anything else would be very much appreciated.

14. Msz

15. Msz

16. 'The Shape Game' is good. The story and pictures are interesting and autobiographical. You can even play the shape game afterwards.

17. 'The Shape Game' is good. The story and pictures are interesting and autobiographical. You can even play the shape game afterwards.

18. Posted twice, so where is the Delete button?

19. Why don't you give them the story in pictures with the text missing and have them come up with the story themselves. This would incorporate S&L and R&W (although they are reading the pictures not the words). I think that would be good for UKS2. You can get so much out of this book though one lesson just isn't enough, you need a full week!