1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Antenatal Course

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by LauraG1581, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and have just started an NCT course which is normally on a Monday evening. My NCT course leader reminded us on Monday that there is an all day course day on a Friday at the end of the course. I'd forgotten and I'd originally booked NCT because my local NHS courses are all during the work day and I didn't want to miss time off work and put school to any trouble...

However, now I'm really confused and I think I'm being a bit stupid but I can't make out in the burgundy book if I can book this day off, asif it was a midwife appointment, and it would come out of normal antenatal care time or if it is different and school can refuse the time off. Can anyone advise?

Thank you very much in advance!

:)

2. Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and have just started an NCT course which is normally on a Monday evening. My NCT course leader reminded us on Monday that there is an all day course day on a Friday at the end of the course. I'd forgotten and I'd originally booked NCT because my local NHS courses are all during the work day and I didn't want to miss time off work and put school to any trouble...

However, now I'm really confused and I think I'm being a bit stupid but I can't make out in the burgundy book if I can book this day off, asif it was a midwife appointment, and it would come out of normal antenatal care time or if it is different and school can refuse the time off. Can anyone advise?

Thank you very much in advance!

:)

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

When I was pregnant with my 1st child I did antenatal classes every Tuesday afternoon for 5 weeks in a row, and school were fine with it. They were NHS classes, but I don't suppose it matters to school whether they're NHS or NCT. I had to miss 2 lessons each time i think. Well, 3 really, but one was being taught by a student teacher.

4. I'm pretty sure you're legally entitled to have the time off for antenatal classes, and it sounds like you've gone out of your way to book the majority of them out of school time.
    I've done the same (I'm 22+4 & starting NCT classes at the end of Feb) but if I had to attend one in school time I wouldn't hesitate to do so [​IMG] xx

5. Thanks for replying. I'll go and talk to my deputy head.