1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

antenatal classes, "allowed to go" but will school get annoyed about it??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by bunique, Jan 10, 2011.

1. "The right to time off only applies if the appointment is advised by a midwife, health visitor or registered medical practitioner (eg a doctor)." You may not be entitled to paid time off to attend antenatal classes and your employer may request evidence from your midwife that they are a necessary part of your care. I had to use annual leave for mine (non-teaching job). You might want to discuss with your head before you book on to anything.

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Ours were only a course of three (and were on a Saturday)- are you sure you want to or need to go to 20 weeks' worth?
    Are there none at all after school or outside 'normal' working hours? That does seem pretty poor service...

3. the class that it has been "suggested" i go to is aquanatal as I have a lot of fluid and blood pressure apparently. the midwife said she would recomend it and do any paper work for work, but I just can't imagin coming in and saying hi, i need a morning off a week for the next 18 weeks to go swimming????
    there are only 2 sessions a week in my locality so that I can acess, both are on wedensday mornings.
    Maybe I should just skip it, I feel quite weird coming in and asking for it, don't know how people in my department would take it, its leaving them with a lot of pressure.
    ugh! if there was one after school I would go, its not like I am trying to "scive school" but I just feel a little stuck between a rock and a hard place.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I did 5 antenatal classes, and they were in school time. I was allowed to go and they didn't even ask for any evidence! They were in the afternoon, so I missed the last 2 lessons. They were in a term where we had 3 parents' evenings, so I had to rush to the class, then rush back to school for 3 hours of parents' evening! I missed my lunch break too. I only live a few miles from my school.

5. I thought that it was illegal NOT to allow you time off for antenatal classes.

On direct.gov.uk under 'parents' and 'working when pregnant' it says "pregnant employees have four key rights: 1. paid time of for antenatal care...."

Then it also says that "antenatal care can include relaxation or parent craft classes if these are recommended by your doctor ..." I can't copy & paste any of these things on Firefox it seems, however I'd say that your employer cannot really stop you going especially if you get the appropriate bit of paper from the doctor / midiwfe.

6. sorry, i didn't read other people's responses before I wrote mine, so I was repeating what others said.

7. Thanks for all of your replies, I know we are "legally allowed to go" but I'm more concerned about the impression itmight give to smt or if it's going to make ppl in my department a bit "miffed" I've read a few similar posts on here and opinion seems to ge divided between those that think it's fine n you should do what's best for you and baby, and ppl that think antenatal classes, particually things like aquanatal are "cheeky" and going a bit too far. I suppose in such a large school I'm bound to get s bit of both reactions if I chose to go. Would be so much simpler if they just put classes after work hours! Ugh!!!! Still no idea what to do! :(

8. I had a similar issue. Antenatal clashed with my Yr 11 and I just couldn't have missed 5 weeks on the trot like that. I finished work last week at 37 weeks - went to one class before finishing school and have the other 4 left to go. I will probably miss the last one but I can go and enjoy the classes rather than being really stressed about it. Midwives were fine about it all.

9. Hi, thankyou for all of your advice. I think I am going to wait a while and see how I feel, I think I will probably consider doing it for the last 6 weeks or so, for financial reasons I am planning to work right up to my due date, will obvioulsy keep talking to my midwife about it all.
    I had my first scan on tuesday this week, got myself soooo excited, and soooo nervous that by the time I got home from work I just "crashed" literally. ended up having the last 2 days off just exhaisted, have done so well mananging all the pregnancy related stuff in the first 12 weeks but just all got a bit much this week :(
    Have just come back in and had a barrage of kids and colleagues complaining that its been "a nightmare" so no, hey, we missed you, how are you, just how my being off has affected them! ugh! Way to make a girl feel guilty!
    Unfortunately our HOD is not the best and apparently set "colouring in" type work for the past 2 days, i teach high school boys with EBSD!!! so the ladies I work with who were left to deal with it have had a nightmare.