1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Antarctica ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jan 6, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

My brother lived in Antarctica for a year and I did a topic off the back of this. Years ago so have none of the resources I used, but go on the 'British antarctic survey' website - they have bases down there and team members blog and there's a section for teachers with lesson ideas and stuff. Emails are a good one too - asking questions about what it's like to live there. My kids were fascinated by it. Specially the whole huts on legs thing incase of avalanches, and the fact that they have to eat chocolate before they go outside to keep their blood sugar up, and AMAZINGLY the toilets are exactly the same as ours! lol :) Enjoy

2. Hi, did this topic with year 2. We watched clips and looked at the great photos that are available of captain scotts adventurre (famous historical figure). The kids wrote diaries as if they were on the journey, using their imagination and expanding on the facts they had learned about the Antartic, some even pretended to be Amundson. They enjoyed it even though if is quiet harrowing. They liked the sense of adventure and loved the detailed photos.

3. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I am an NQT teaching year 2 and have jsut started a topic on Antarctica. I still don't know
    if l am on the right track but this is what l am planning to do:
    Literacy: Information texts about penguins. we have adopted an adelie penguin. We are going to make a class book. Then we will go on to do poetry "really looking" again on a penguin theme.
    Topic will be linked to Scott of the Antarctic. We have started by looking at the continents to locate Antarctica and then we will move on to look at Captain Scott and his place in history, what it means to be famous and what characteristics you would need to have taken part in this sort of expedition. So we will do diary entries and thought we might write letters to apply to become part of the expedition.
    Hopefully have persuaded my Dad to come in to school dressed as Captain Scott to do some role play.
    We are doing forces in science and hope to make sledges to use in our forces experiments.
    Would love more ideas or for people to give me some feedback.
    Thank you

4. QFE

QFE New commenter

Vaughan Williams, Sinfonia Antarctica.

Not Literacy, but it might be useful for creative writing...

5. Thanks for the ideas everyone. Happy weekend :)