1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Answers which round to...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kalowski, Jan 11, 2011.

1. What's the point of asking for an answer to be written to a particualr degree of accuracy in an exam, if there are no marks available for the act? MArking our Y11 (Edexcel) mock, I notice lots of questions that ask for rounding, and then lots of times in the marks schmeme it says, accept 3.758 or better... or answers which round to 3.76 or somesuch...

2. As an Edexcel examiner, I can tell you that there will be one question on the paper where the candidates need to get the correct rounded answer. For the rest of the paper the candidates need to get at least the level of accuracy required or better which means they can potentially lose a mark if their answer has insufficient accuracy but if they always write down the whole answer from the calculator before they round off they should get full marks, IYSWIM. This is also true in the AS modules I mark.

3. So shouldn't the question say, "give your answer to 3sf or better...."

4. The most recent conversation had with an edexcel rep and I left more baffled than before I asked and it seems other than trial and improveent (at GCSE) pupils are not penalised despite questions questions stating a specifc level of accuracy