1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Answering different types of reading comp questions...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tiffster, Feb 27, 2010.

1. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Hi all,
    Over half term I shared a Powerpoint with a number of posters about different types of reading comprehension question, these being:
    Retrieval - look for and find the answer (usually "tick and circle" or single word answers)
    Inference - finding clues in the text (answers might start with "Because it says....")
    Effect on the reader - describe why the author has chosen particular words or layout (answers might start with "To make you think/To show you...")
    Opinion - where you have to consider your views and refer to the text in backing up your answer (answers should follow a format along the lines of "I think...... because it says......")
    This week I went through this with my class and they put a very Talk For Writing spin on things by inventing an action for each type of question! I thought I would share this as we have found it very useful this week: the kids can "show me" the type of question they think it is, and the actions are helping to reinforce what each type of question wants them to do. Makes the lesson a bit more lively too!
    So.....
    For retrieval, you reach up and pull down. You are the "fetcher" of the answer.
    For inference, you hold an imaginary magnifying glass and peer into it. You are the "detective" looking for clues.
    For effect on the reader, you mime operating a puppet. You are looking at the author as the "puppeteer" - what are they trying to get the reader to do, and how are they doing it?
    For opinion, you stroke your chin and look thoughtful (and in the case of my class, make weird humming noises!) You are the "philosopher", considering all the evidence and deciding what you think.
    Humour me! This worked for us!
    :)

2. That sounds great - have been struggling to think of ways to make reading revision more interesting, especially as due ofsted monitoring visit soon with a very opinionated class, - we'll give this a try!

3. I like this - have used clipart images in the past.
    I'm currently creating Powerpoints focussing on different questioning techniques. When completed will post.
    Have got a few question related to Text structure and organisational features that i've pulled from previous SATS if anyone wants them.

4. Hi I would love a copy of the questions - have hopefully sent you a message with my email address.
    Thanks

5. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Yes please Michellie! I need all the help I can get this year! resources@jembo.me.uk

6. Oh yes please. I usually teach yr 6 and am on mat leave at moment, am going in to do some reading comp booster lessons with some groups of kids and would love any ideas for 'quick' activities rather than just trawling through paper after paper.

7. Check yr mail everyone. [​IMG]

8. Hi guys - just emailed you a PPoint on AF5 questions from 2003 onwards ( with markschemes of course) - hopefully this might save some part of yr Sunday.
    Check yr emails and enjoy the weekend
    x
    Michellie

9. Thank you for these ideas they are great, I tried a reading comprehension today and could have cried at the results, so these ideas will really help with a grumbly low ability 'why am I writing at all?' kind of group.

10. deeley

deeley New commenter

am really interested by this thread, as have been exploring with my level 4 year 5's to try and shirft them forwards....could i please ask for a copy too?
    mydoodle@live.com
    you're very kind to share. Loving the actions in post 1 too, will try that next week and see how it goes! many thanks all

11. teachers-pet

teachers-pet New commenter

Hi

I am a Year 6 teacher currently going through past papers with my class. This sounds really interesting and would cheer up our guided reading sessions.

Could I have a copy please?

karen.bennett@lidgetgreen.com

Thank you

12. Please may I have a copy of the powerpoint?

Thanks

jloui4@aol.com

13. Michellie,
    Is it still possible to get a copy of the pp? It sounds really useful! Thanks
    cchristie62@hotmail.com

14. Hi, if its not too late can I also get a copy please.
    Many Thanks

hvruston@aol.com

15. Check yr emails everyone.
    Deely - did you want my stuff or the action PowerPoints?
    You can have my stuff but don't think your Y6 teacher would be happy as its all the Past Papers she'll be working from at present. Let me know.
    Michellie

16. Love it - what a fabulous idea!

Px

17. I would really appreciate a copy of your Powerpoints too, if it's not too late.
    Thanks in advance.

upperks2@yahoo.co.uk