1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another word for regress?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Feb 16, 2011.

1. In legal terms?
    legal redress?
    compensation?
    claim damages?
    (am translating a very boring contract...[​IMG] )
    To put it in context...if you default on a contract the other party has a right to...
    ???
    What sounds best in English?

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Redress sounds best, in my humble opinion.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You must be very clearwhat it is that you will want for a breach of contract - redress is not simply a matter of damages or compensation - it can also mean simply the removal of the cause of the breach, or an insistence of satisfaction of teh terms of the contract

4. ah, ok - thanks for that.
    Ok...skim reads a bit further...
    After the first lodge of complaint from the first party, the first party has a right to....if the other party (the party which has defaulted) makes no correction to the situation....da di da...
    it is definitely about monetary terms and the right to tender the contract to a third party without notice to the first party.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

redress would be the most appropriate word

6. the OTHER party!

7. Ok, two votes for redress...

8. No, the first party.
    Ok...maybe time to put it down and look at it again tomorrow!
    I will be selling a blinkin washing machine and asking for an interest rate of 50% at this rate...

9. this is where other party should have been.
    Right...doc closed.
    Tomorrow is another day with only 24 hours and I only have about another 30 pages to go...
    Ta for your help [​IMG]

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Go and have a cup of tea, then get up early to finish it.

11. Even earlier than my usual 5.30? boo hoo [​IMG]
    I do have two days left - but the rest of my work to do as well. Which is why I was trying to do it in batches.
    But too tired now - put lots of squiggles in red on the page with notations.
    Tomorrow is another day - *sigh*