1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another victim!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daffodilval, Oct 14, 2011.

1. I am soo angry, just found out that my, elderly, frail, 81 yr old mum has been paying by DD, proctection for, RAC cover (hasn't driven in 30 yrs) Phone texting (never had a mobile) and many, many more obscure protection covers with a certain bank..She has been paying monthy for over 2 years, totally almost £2000!!! [​IMG]

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Why not name the bank?
    Or do you think they deserve anonymity?

3. BARCLAYS!!

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

My 82 year old mum was also taken advantage of by a certain bank, which took £35K of her money and mis-sold her a rubbish investment policy that was completely inappropriate.

Two years later and a file full of correspondence with the Ombudsman, they returned the £35K in full plus £5K compensation.

Go for the throat, Val!

5. Glad to hear it manashee, i find it difficult to get my head round small print, what chance do pensioners have? Its sooo wrong..We are defo going for the throat..

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Aye, you wonder how these b@stards sleep at night! I tell you, if I got hold of the little commission-hungry ***** who took advantage of my mum... Well, God help him!

7. Their justification is 'she did sign for it'..yeah right! and why would she ever sign for RAC cover? now zimmer frame cover, i could understand, And a mobile! the only mobile mum knew about was her hair dresser!

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ombudsman, Guardian Money, Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com), Watchdog.

Just a few names to drop when you put in your formal complaint. ;-)

9. Thanks...just need to get started now..

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Good luck. If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to PM me. I write an excellent letter of complaint. ;-) Oh and don't let them fob you off with their BS, keep at it! They always bank ('scuse the pun) on you giving up and going away, which lets them off the hook nicely.

11. Just a quick question....are you sure she is not paying by DD for her account?
    I have a Barclays Additions account which I pay for and some of the many benefits I get are the same as you list above. It sounds like your mum has signed up for an account whose benefits dont all apply to her but at the same time for the set monthly fee Barclays also have boiler protection incl no call out charge and fixed for free etc, mobile protection, free will writing service, travel insurance (unlimited), RAC cover, free overdraft up to £300 plus a lower rate if you go over than normal plus much more. I know that I personally have gotten more out of the account in terms of insurance claims/car breakdowns etc that I have paid in monthly costs.
    It is of course a shame that she is paying if the benefits they offer are not useful to her but itdoes sound like the DD is not for the benefits as such but the monthly account cost. You can't blame Barclays for that (and I am NOT one to usually stick up for banks).

12. No sparky, none of the beifits they affer to her are of any use at all, not sure what the account is called, its only just come to light.

13. I'd contact theCEO of Barclays. Got immediate results when I emailed the CEO of BT about my crappy broadband experience . He emailed back within the hour, as did their accounts dept after I complained to him that I was sick of paying for a service I was not getting. I am getting it now though.
    The e-mail address you require is on this website http://www.ceoemail.com/ under finance.

14. This was a topic on Watchdog this week. Lots of banks being accused of mis-selling etc. Barclays is particularly bad for this. When I opened an account with Barclays at 18, they signed me up for an Additions account without even telling me about it. I only food out about it because the account went overdrawn from the account payment. When I phoned to complain they tried to make out that they told me all about it at the time. I explained that I was a student, why the heck would I pay £12.50 a month for an account when I could have one for free? Hope you get it sorted x

15. This reminds me of when I was a student and already had a Nat West account. I asked them to change it to a student account. They said they couldn't. I said OK, bring me the forms to close this account and while you're at it bring me the forms to open a student account. The woman serving me, went away for a few minutes and suddenly they could change it to a student account.