1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another uti - really fed up!!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, May 24, 2011.

1. I'm so, so fed up with bl*ddy urinary tract problems - couple of weeks ago it was kidney stones, now I've got another uti and am on antibiotics again. This time I've been in a lot of abdominal pain and have had to take painkillers just to keep going. Getting thoroughly peed off with everything. Am seeing a urologist on Friday as a follow up to the kidney stone issue; I'm kind of dreading it really as I guess I've more pain and misery to come (scans showed I have several stones).

2. I'm so, so fed up with bl*ddy urinary tract problems - couple of weeks ago it was kidney stones, now I've got another uti and am on antibiotics again. This time I've been in a lot of abdominal pain and have had to take painkillers just to keep going. Getting thoroughly peed off with everything. Am seeing a urologist on Friday as a follow up to the kidney stone issue; I'm kind of dreading it really as I guess I've more pain and misery to come (scans showed I have several stones).

3. Personal question.....do you have an active sex life?

4. I am no Doc, so bear that in mind. I'd say if your kidneys are under par then the infection/s might be a result of that. The Uro should explain all this when you see them. So make a little list of things that way your mind will be more at rest when it knows what is going on. Healing and getting better takes times, perhaps when you are feeling up to it, go and see a accupuncturist.

Lots of cranberry. Lots and lots .... and lots of rest. Give it some time.

Get well wishes.

5. Ahh Mrs Mo that's not nice company! I'm just home from urology surgery today actually having had a cystoscopy to see if there's any reason for recurrent utis and thankfully there's not, bladder etc looks fine but I've been put on a long term antibiotic nightly for 3 months to try and keep them at bay and am just wondering is it worth suggesting this to the urologist.
    The lady in the bed next to me had been in to get kidney stones blasted and had stints put in to allow her to pass them so I know from chatting to her how painful they are.
    I'm sure you know all the usual about drinking loads etc but have to disagree with the previous poster though as cranberry is really good at preventing a uti but once you have one it makes passing urine even more painful as it's so acidic Maybe try some potassium citrate from the chemist which neutralises the acid and so isn't as big a nightmare evry time you go to the loo. HTH

6. I agree travel. I was advised by my pharmacist to drink lots of cranberry and it only served to make my UTI really severe.

7. In a word ... no. I'm 3 yrs into the menopause and have had some issues with dryness and soreness down below. Did see the doc about it as was VERY sore as a result of a uti. She said if it didnt settle to go back and get some oestrogen cream but I never made it back because the following week I was in A&E with my kidney stone. I'm wondering if this waterworks problem is in part due to the menopause and in part due to kidney stones, both of which can make you more prone to utis.

8. I'd say you're right MM it could be due to either, wouldn't do any harm to try some oestrogen cream anyhow. Hope you start to get some relief soon!

9. Thanks for that advice. I'll try and buy some of these. Prevention is better than cure any day.
    Re the painkillers - I was discharged from hospital with some Tramadol, so have dug these out and taken one with some paracetamol. It has helped but has made me a bit whoozy.

10. The tramadol made me feel REALLY weird. I dont think I'll be taking it any more!
    Went to the doctors today and got a different antibiotic (Trimethoprim). The good news is that I got the results back of my fasting blood test - everything normal. The main thing they were looking for was diabetes but it looks like I dont have this horrible illness after all. Phew!

11. Tramadol, although a strong pain killer, will be of little use to you with renal colic/uti type pain.
    Diclofenac/voltarol which you can now buy over the counter is more effective.
    I have fairly frequent UTIs, and also have stones, lots of little ones, in both kidneys. However the urologist said he wouldn't treat them.
    Are your antibiotics being given on the result of a urine sample. You should send a sample off, before they start treatment, and then a few days after the course has finished to check it has cleared up.
    You probably need to have maybe a 2 week course of something like Ciprofloxacin, and then have your urine checked again to make sure it is gone.
    Have you had an ultra sound scan to see where the stones are and if they are causing a obstruction? It may be that the stone is preventing the kidney or bladder from emptying properly, and therefore causing residual infection.
    Cranberry juice is good for UTIs/cystitis, but the urologist told me to drink water with a squeeze of lime juice in it for the prevention of stones.
    I hope you get sorted out soon.

12. No, they haven't sent my urine off to the lab. The GP did another dip test and said it was completely clear of blood/leukocytes, but there were obvious "bits" floating in it and I'm still having symptoms so she gave me a 5 day course of trimethoprim.
    I'm seeing the urologist tomorrow so will discuss it with him.
    I'm surprised your urologist hasnt treated your stones. Perhaps if they were got rid your UTIs would improve (?)

13. Mine isn't being treated either as it's deemed 'too small'!

14. Although I have lots of stones, they are quite little. They are not in a position where they are causing any obstruction, so there isn't any need right now - unless one moves.
    The best way to stop them moving is to stay well hydrated. I usually have flare-ups in the summer months, and I think it is because the weather is hotter and I am not drinking enough.
    I think the UTIs and the stones can be related, but are not always related.
    You must have a specimen sent off to get the right antibiotic, if you don't you may not be getting the right antibiotics.
    You also need to consider the fact that if your urine is clear, the pain you are having may not be related to a UTI, but to a hormone related problem or a gynae related problem. That's another reason why it is important to have the urine checked.

15. They have to be over 1mm in diameter and in a position where they are causing obstruction/backflow for them to treat them.
    Laser treatment is not always successful, as in fact may be the case with surgery, and they usually recur.
    As a nurse who worked in a general surgical unit for some time, I think I only ever saw them treated once.

16. Doglover, mine was causing awful pain (which is getting much better now) but they decided not to treat it as they said I'd pass it naturally. I didn't question it as I have no knowledge of this area having never suffered urinary problems! I'm glad in the end tho as I'd rather avoid any procedures.

17. I have had several bouts of the really severe pain, and the stones hadn't been detected at that time, so they sent me for some tests which were inconclusive.
    I heard several UTIs though, with excessive blood in the samples, so they sent me for an ultra sound, where they saw the little menaces. The UTI and the stones weren't really connected. They said that the blood was probably present in the urine at all times, but was just being picked up when I had a UTI, because it was being tested at the time.
    As I wasn't having any pain at the time of the urology appointment, they said it was best to leave them. I guess I must have passed the ones causing the pain at the time of the acute attacks.

18. I saw the urologist today. He said my stones are very tiny and I've probably been passing them without realising (apart from the large-ish one that caused all the problems). He thinks the ones that remain are too small to cause any real problems so unless I have another serious episode, he doesnt think they need treatment.
    I'm feeling a lot better - think the UTI is finally going.

19. That's great to hear Mrs Mo. I think I may have passed mine as the pain is significantly better and I feel like my old self again :). Let's hope we remain UTI free for a while! x