1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another unsuccessful interview - very very fed up!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by herbie123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I know how you feel. I was unsuccessful yesterday after the most gruelling interview I've ever had and I came out feeling like an absolute idiot even though I am in my third year of teaching.
    I too don't know how much longer I can take rejection. I had a permanent job for 2 years but for personal reasons I desperately needed to relocate and I went to many interviews over those 2 years only to find that at least 8 of them had an internal of some kind and I was just the window dressing.
    I finally secured a job only to find out that falling roles means I have no job for September and I have been unsuccessful at several interviews since. After that awful interview yesterday I do not feel I can go to another school and be a performing monkey for 7 hours.
    Ive also had some awful interviews. One had 12 candidates and 2 internals. Waste of time and effort.
    I know many people will say that the right job is out there but I too am beginning to question my career. The fact that im my experience you are usually there when the successful candidate has the job and have to sit there contemplating why you have failed again....
    Here's hoping something comes our way :)

2. I know how you feel CrazyChemist and I'm sure there are so many other downhearted jobseekers who aren't on these boards too. I've had 12 interviews and no job, my friend got her job on her second interview..... it is hard not to feel resentful I know but it doesn't help.
    I think you do tend to read into things after a while although I too have had some experiences that make me think the odds are stacked against me. One interview I went to had 10 applicants for 2 posts. Interviews and lessons on separate days, no offer of a school tour and told they were too busy when I asked. The ta informed me when I went into class that 2 of the 10 already worked there and one of these had started planning for the following term with staff!
    As others have said-it's not a done deal if they have advertised so we are always in with a chance. I can't do anything about other candidates so I'm just focusing on doing the best I can. Also you might get recommended to someone else so it is worth it. Try summer camps/tutoring as well as supply work maybe? Best of luck and hopefully we will see some more stars on the jobseekers forum soon!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I do feel sorry for you all. I can remember the days when I was rejected for jobs, and pretty painful it was too. I still, after all these years, remember the schools (one in particular) who didn't shortlist me for Headship. I have taken pleasure in comparing their league table position with that of my school!
    So I know how really horrible it is for you all.
    If you can get on a train or coach to TES head office in London, then perhaps the 26 June is your chance.
    Julia is organising an Interview coaching session AND a Job Application session on that day. Either or both of them might help you just see what has been going wrong . . .
    Kind regards to you all - my fingers are crossed.
    Job Application seminar:
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    TES Weekend Workshop - Interview Coaching - Sunday 26th June

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.

Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!