1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another unemployed NQT

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Georgia99, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi I am a NQT who also qualified in June. I only secured my first post last month on my 5th interview and my current contract is only temporary.
    The fact that you have had 4 interviews shows that you are making great applications and now you have a 5th..... :)
    Keep going, some people on here have secured employment on their 20th or 30th interview.

2. Unfortunately not, i felt it went really well and when the Head called that evening she said my lesson and interview were great-but they went for someone with more experience who had done their nqt year! Great!!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

It took me 9 interviews to get my first job. You can do this!
    And I don't know if you saw but Harry (who had posted above) has also just secured a job after all those applications!!
    Keep going, your doing great to get interviewed. (I've applied for 60 jobs recently and no interviews at all) x

4. edulou

edulou New commenter

Wannabe, I really do feel your pain. I'm in the exact same boat as you - 4 interviews and after my most recent one the Head called to say I was a very close second. I was offered supply work because they were so impressed with my lesson. Perhaps you could ask the schools in which you interviewed if they would consider you for supply work? Then when a position comes up again, they'll already know you and have built a professional relationship with you?

I know it's frustrating... and it doesn't help when the media peddle nonsense about looming teacher shortages. There are so many underemployed teachers; all waiting in the sidelines for their chance.

Just keep going - you obviously like the schools you're applying to, who knows where supply work in those schools could lead?

xx Good luck! xx