1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another two rejections

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Polkadotspot, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I've just found out that I've been turned down for another job after interview. Another "you were great, there's nothing you could change but we just had to go for the best fit". It comes just after an email informing me I haven't made the shortlist for interview (the first time I've had an email letting me know rather than just silence!)
    It's just so disheartening. I've 'only' applied for 15 jobs, with 3 interviews, but as I decided not to learn to drive at 17, there are very few schools I can actually get to in the morning. Now, of course, I can't afford to start driving!
    It's so frustrating. I have an excellent degree, all of my placements were graded good or outstanding and I know I'm a good candidate. I just don't know what I can do anymore.
    Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent somewhere where people would understand. My partner is trying his best but "there's a reason why you didn't get this one and we'll find out what it is soon" is wearing thin after 15 times.

2. I've just found out that I've been turned down for another job after interview. Another "you were great, there's nothing you could change but we just had to go for the best fit". It comes just after an email informing me I haven't made the shortlist for interview (the first time I've had an email letting me know rather than just silence!)
    It's just so disheartening. I've 'only' applied for 15 jobs, with 3 interviews, but as I decided not to learn to drive at 17, there are very few schools I can actually get to in the morning. Now, of course, I can't afford to start driving!
    It's so frustrating. I have an excellent degree, all of my placements were graded good or outstanding and I know I'm a good candidate. I just don't know what I can do anymore.
    Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent somewhere where people would understand. My partner is trying his best but "there's a reason why you didn't get this one and we'll find out what it is soon" is wearing thin after 15 times.

3. Hello I did a lot of supply work before getting my first 'permanent contract' the perm contract was the worst step I could have taken. NQT after NQT was set on cheap and I got the dregs as they couldn't possibly look after those year 9 classes. NQT's didn't stay so each term it was the same routinue. Use your teaching expertise to look for other jobs say in HR. I once went to an interview where the foreign person without teaching qualifications got a job as an IT teacher because she was cheap. This was in the days before they made that idea official. This country does not deserve dedicated home grown and educated teachers. Shrug your shoulders and find another job where you will be appreciated.

4. I'm actually an NQT. It's a myth that NQTs get all the jobs because they're cheap, believe me.
    I have applied for a couple of non-teaching jobs but I've been rejected for those too. It's so frustrating!

5. I'm an NQT and despite qualifying this year I have no job either. I may be cheap but I'm still out of work. :(

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK.
    To all of you out there, we understand entirely your position. There are too many people who have finished their PGCE but not yet managed to get jobs to start their induction, because there are fewer jobs available now than there used to be.
    More of you chasing fewer jobs.
    This is the standard set of points to go check and go through now in your search for a job to let you start your career.
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. How-to instructions at the top of the Forum.
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 When you get a few early-morning phonecalls and get some supply under your belt, do make sure that you are making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply. Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: the next one of Winning That Teaching Job is Saturday 24th September. There will be some in October too, that I shall be leading, if you can't make this first one. This means that in October you would get to meet me, which you might think is a negative!
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between JSA and a NQT salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    Very best of luck to all of you.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

7. I don't really have any adive but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am just starting my sixth year as a supply teacher and am finding that the work is getting harder to come by each year mainly due to the schools budgets.I had a rejection letter yesterday from a school where I had covered most of the supply for the past two years, knew all the staff very well, had proved myself and had had two headteacher recommendations. I was so disheartened, I don't think I can take much more rejection, the knockbacks don't get any easier!!!!

I have applied for aound 350 jobs, had about 24 intervews (started to lose count!!) (( I did get 2 of those jobs on maternity cover contracts!)) ad am now looking at other areas. I am a dance and drama grauate so don't really have the most useful degree in the world when it comes to job hunting!! For the moment I will keep on trying for jobs both inside and outside education and hope that supply picks up.

Hope everyone manages to find somethng whether it is in teaching or elsewhere xx

8. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

me too ;-)
    We are not alone. Thinking of setting up a facebook group for regular rants :)
    If you read through the boards loads and loads of people are in the same boat, something will come eventually.
    I had two rejections from two applications this week. Thinking about saving my JSA and going up to one of Mr.Griffs sessions, or doing by post (I think you can) for a tailored application letter to see what I can do.
    Jobs are out there, so fingers crossed we all manage to find something.

9. Thanks everyone for your support. In some ways it's reassuring to know there are others in the same boat but then, of course, there's more competition!
    Turns out this latest job had an internal candidate who was very good friends with the interviewer. I suppose I was doomed from the start with that one.
    Oh well, found one more that I can apply for. There's another one I'm debating. It would be awkward to reach by bus but I could probably manage until I get driving.
    Best of luck to everyone (unless you're applying for the same jobs as me of course! [​IMG])

10. I think we do NEED luck, in everything we do when applying for jobs.......

11. Dear all,
    I am in a similar boat, but was wondering if anyone had any advice...
    I did my PGCE in lower primary and then went to teaching in a British International School in Russia. I was teaching the British curriculum in English to international children, most of whom did not have English as a first language. I did my NQT year out there, I was assessed by British trained teached and had to follow the British standard and do all the British paperwork. I was a full time class teacher with all the work and responsability. I worked there for two years and then came back to the U.K. hearing that I would have to do my NQT year again... Everybody said it would be fine and that I would be a "light touch NQT". I am back living with my parents doing supply work locally as I can't get a job! I have had lots of interviews and everyone is very interested in my experience but interview feedback is always the same - We think you are great, there is nothing you need to change, don't give up hope you are a brilliant teacher but we wanted someone with more experience! I can't get experience if nobody will employ me, and if I am so good why didn't they give me the job??!!! There isn't much supply around my area and they are closing all the local schools to save money, which doesn't help. I happily travel around the country to first visit schools and then go to interviews, but it is expensive if you don't have full time work and you give up precious supply work to do this. Not sure what to do as am losing hope of a job completely. Am thinking I will have to find another career, which seems a shame but any help anyone?
    Sorry quite a long rant going on there but am really frustrated.