1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another 'To whom do I address it?' question

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sidinz, Jun 5, 2011.

1. The address bar bit is clear. I'm to address it to 'The Appointments Committee', Whatever School, Wherever.
    It's the salutation bit that's got me stuck. In today's day and age, 'Dear Sirs' is asking for trouble. 'To Whom it May Concern' sounds a bit impersonal and chancy. 'Dear Sirs/Madams' conjures images of red-light districts.'Dear Committee' is just out-and-out wrong.
    The website gives no clue as to who is on this committee.
    What say you, learned gentlemen?

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Dear Future Colleagues?

3. I like it!
    Might come across as a bit cocky, though? [​IMG]

4. I understand why you are concerned that "Dear Sirs" is asking for troiuble, but it doen't stop it being correct, even in these enlightened days, so I would go for that if I were you. Surely no-one is going to bin an application on the basis of a salutation?
    That's in my always humble one, anyway.

5. But not all those that the applications need to be addressed to are male. It would have to stand very strongly on its merits to over come the faux pas - that is my humble opinion.

6. Ask <u>TheoGriff</u> on jobseekers.

7. johnnersco

johnnersco New commenter

I think I would use:

Dear Appointments Committee Members, although it seems a bit cumbersome it is at least neutral, and they can concentrate on what is the important part of your communication.

Then again; I am not that learned.

8. I eventually settled on something similar: Dear Members of the Committee.....