1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another tedious question about Facebook...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Jan 16, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Hi, just a quick question to double check something; would be most grateful if someone could oblige.
    I'm scrupulous about Facebook security settings and ensuring that students cann't see anything besides my name. However, today I discovered that a pupil in my class is the cousin of my friend's fiancé and is friends with her on Facebook. Obviously, this friend has pictures of me - nothing unsuitable, just out on nights out having a good laugh. However, I'd rather the kids didn't see these picture and that my personal life was kept just that.
    Am I right in thinking that if I block this student, he cannot see any pictures of me anywhere on Facebook, even on other people's profiles?
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S. sorry if typing is bad...my hands are freeeeezzzziiinnngggg! Brrrrr. xx

2. Facebook security settings have always been an enigma to me. I now just dont have anything at all on there that would be likely to bother me if people saw it.
    It used to be that you could set your security settings to 'friends only' but they could still see pictures unless you went through individual albums and set them to 'friends only' too.
    I think you're right though - if you block him/her they shouldnt be able to see anything at all.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I am far from a Facebook expert but I don't understand how you blocking somebody would stop them seeing pictures ion another person's facebook page. I hope you are right though.

4. fantastischfish

Thanks Impulce. The security settings seem to be pretty strong provided you know how to find the right ones; it's complicated to find.
    I don't have anything I'm ashamed off on my own profile, I just want it all keeping private. It's just that sometimes friends upload photos that I haven't "approved" and I look terrible, or fat, or am showing a bit of cleavage and I'd prefer students didn't see that.

5. fantastischfish

I'm hoping someone has a definitive answer. I'm sure it does because I have another friend whose boyfriend's sister goes to the school, but I don't teach her. My friend attempted to point me in the direct of the sister's picture but I couldn't see it because she wasn't my friend on FB. I could see the rest of my friend's album, just not the pictures with the sister tagged. She obviously had is set up so that only friends can see pictures of her and that must extend beyond her own profile too. Hopefully.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Any teacher with a serious attitude to keeping their job should simply not be on facebook. Any person with a serious attitude to their own privacy should not be on facebook.

7. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Why?

8. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that, but I'm not on it.
    It seems to cause so much trouble and upset and I have heard of cases where teachers have been dismissed or disciplined due to it - probably because they didn't use it properly I know, but I would always be so worried that I would inadvertently get something wrong.

9. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Rubbish! Teachers are allowed to have a life outside of their job. I have relatives I would never 'see' but now can because of fb. I have 'found' old friends - fab! You just have to be very careful and I think you are correct in thinking that a person blocked can't see anything of you, pics, posts or, indeed, anything.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Not certain, but I think they can't see any photos in which you're tagged... if there's a photo and you're not tagged they'll be able to see it.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

why do you use your name on facebook but not on here??

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Common sense - don't discuss school, pupils or parents on Facebook.
    As for photos - well I think it's tricky to block someone else's photos. I think if they are tagged, then they won't appear - but if they are not tagged, well I think they will. There was a case of primary teachers on a hen night being criticised for drunken photos of them on Facebook - but it was not at school so what's the problem?

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm not sure if it's still the case BUT

It used to be that if you were taggedin a photo then you could block certain people from seeing it, even if it were a photo that someone else had posted.
    But if your friend, or cousing's friend or whoever posts photos that just happen to have you in them, there's nothin you can do other than to ask her to hide it from those people you don't want to see it.

Slightly off at a tangent but my latest gripe with FB is the number of people who post a photo with roughly 350 other people tagged in it WHEN THERE ARE NO PEOPLE AT ALL IN THE BLASTED PHOTO!!!!!!!

14. sparkleghirl

Good grief, sorry about the fudge fingers there.

15. SleighBelle

I don't tend to discuss/share/rant on facebook. I post updates on things my friends and family would be interested in, rather than talk about school.
    The stupid scaremongering amongst the ill-informed few frustrate me. Facebook is NOT dangerous for public-sector workers as long as you are scrupulous about privacy settings and the kind of things you put on there. Being on Facebook does not put my job at risk, nor does it mean I take my job less seriously.

16. kittylion

But if they were identifiable, it could be considered as bringing the school into disrepute.

17. sparkleghirl

Only if the bahaviour is disreputable.
    Depends whether they were just drunk or not. I don't think being drunk once in a while should be seen as disreputable.

If we are expected to be 'on duty' during out of school hours, then some additional payment would be nice.

18. SleighBelle

What?? An adult getting drunk at a hen do brings the school into disrepute??
    I thought, as children grew up, they became aware that teachers do not live at school. What concern is it to anyone if they go out with friends and get drunk?

19. kittylion

I know I know - honestly SleighBelle I didn't say I agreed with it though - like you I think that everyone should he able to have a social life so please don't shoot the messenger lol. I can't give details here but truly I have heard of cases where photos of people doing similar stuff were used against teachers and disciplinary action was taken.

20. Furthermore, evidence of such activity could be used against a teacher who has already a black mark against their name.
    Don't agree with it but just saying....