1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another teacher signed off...question?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CooperSM, Mar 29, 2017.

1. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

Hey guys,

So I suffer with migraines and I've been getting a severe increase of stress related migraines - up to 5 in one week! I've been back and forth to the doctors and finally today I allowed them to sign me off till next Friday.

Here's the catch, I resigned and it's meant to be my last week. I've emailed my head teacher explaining why I've been signed off and that I will be in tomorrow morning to give back the school laptop and badge. I also explained that I am doing 3 out of the 4 data updates that needs doing tonight so that no one has to pick up the slack within the next few weeks. They would only have to update the Letters and Sounds assessments that are being done this week (I don't have them and they won't be completed till next week). It would take maybe 30 minutes to update the system. (I also have done next weeks planning and key questions ready).
    She emailed back saying that it would be best for me to keep the laptop until my contract is over to complete all of the data required to be completed.

My question is, can she ask me to complete data when I've been signed off? The whole point was for me to have a few days to recharge and reconfigure my brain before starting my new job next term and now I'm stressing about it.

Please send any advice or knowledge my way!

Thank you,
    A very stressed teacher!

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If you're signed-off, you shouldn't be doing any work and your school should not be asking you to either.

Get somebody to drop your doctor's note in to the school - along with their laptop!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Have you responded to her email yet?
    If not, do it now. Just write "I am sorry, I am not well"
    Send
    Sleep.
    It is her job to find a solution to whatever is outstanding.

stonerose, pineapplehead and Pomz like this.
  4. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

I have already asked my TA to take it in but she got into trouble last time she collected my laptop (when I was in hospital) saying it wasn't her responsibility to come and get the laptop from my house. And she won't take it in.
    I don't really have any friends at the school so I don't have anyone to take it in and I live on my own.

I haven't emailed yet.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd just take the laptop in whenever it suits you.
    There is no reason to do it tomorrow.

Similarly work is now over and done.
    You are signed off and cannot work.
    Do not do any data or any other such thing.

Stick the laptop and the badge in the boot of the car and forget about it until it suits you to drop it in.
    Or post the thing. Yes it will cost you, but not half as much as the hassle of going in.

Seriously, you are now signed off and so owe nobody anything at all.
    You have already done far more than could reasonably be expected, so relax and get well.

6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I've emailed my head teacher explaining why I've been signed off and that I will be in tomorrow morning to give back the school laptop and badge.

If you've been signed off by your doctor why are you going in? That's asking for trouble as they will think that if you are well enough to go in, why are you not working? Stay home and follow medical advice.

I also explained that I am doing 3 out of the 4 data updates that needs doing tonight so that no one has to pick up the slack within the next few weeks.

Again why? Having suffered from stress migraines in my time at work, this studying of data would floor me. Stop it ,and if there are any complaints from your school say that you will consult your GP. As they are teachers and not medical practitioners they have no right to 'advize' you to do the work.

They would only have to update the Letters and Sounds assessments that are being done this week (I don't have them and they won't be completed till next week

Again refer to my answers above.

It would take maybe 30 minutes to update the system. (I also have done next weeks planning and key questions ready).

Above!

She emailed back saying that it would be best for me to keep the laptop until my contract is over to complete all of the data required to be completed.

That's her decision. Yours is to look out for your own health needs in collaboration with the appropriate medical practitioner i.e. your GP not her.

Can she ask......

No, unless she wants to tangle with occupational health. The trained professional (the GP) has made their clinical judgments and you should following them. To go against medical advice could put in a difficult position professionally.

a few days to recharge and reconfigure my brain before starting my new job next term and now I'm stressing about it.

You said it! Go rest get better. If you school gets pushy say you will go and see your GP first. Follow GP advice, not act on what your schools wishes. If you become very ill after this not even your union, I believe can
    help you if you are going against that advice.

Please take this from someone who had to learn the hard way. Look after your health because it's unlikely your school will.

S.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

My union rep returned mine for me. They can tell the head that you will be unable to complete any work whilst you are signed off.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

She can ask and you can say no. I suggest that you let her know that you are not able to do the work because of your illness, and that you are willing to take the laptop back now or leave it until the end of term. Your willingness to compromise and do what you can shows how profesional you are, but there are limits. If the Head refuses to back down, get your union on the case.

stonerose likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't think you should be doing any work. It's the fact that you have offered to do some which makes it seem as though you might be capable of more. I would email back that you initially misjudged the severity of your condition, that you now realise you won't be able to complete any work ad that you will hand the laptop back when you feel up to it (unless they want to send someone to collect it?)

And then stop worrying. You're sick. You're not supposed to work and other people will pick up the slack short-term with barely a murmur except to hope you're okay.

10. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Certainly right advice above that once signed off the school should cease to exist in your mind - no requirement to work, all deadlines disappear etc etc.

What I'm curious about is why you are so stressed in your last week at the school?

11. gwest91

gwest91 New commenter

It's really kind of you to be offering to complete work for them and they're lucky you've offered to do that much. Think carefully about whether doing it is going to exacerbate your condition though and perhaps follow the advice above if you think it will. They should not be asking you to do any work data or planning while you're signed off. They will find someone else who can do it. You've been signed off from any work for a reason use the time to get better and don't worry about the school.

stonerose likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's a personal standard, isn't it? I expect we've all seen similar in staff about to go on Maternity Leave. you know you are going, you know somebody will pick up your role. You know what it's like to be in the dark, and you don't want this for your replacement. It's an injection of humanity and pragmatism when it is not always contractually required. It helps the kids. We think.
    Additionally, middle managers can panic on somebody leaving-how on earth are they going to fit in induction of the new person? It's their job. But as long as you still have your experienced team member in situ you could require in all decency that they tie up loose ends, create some sort of reference pack, compile data for which only they hold the facts. And so on.
    Also a more negative reason, which many of us have seen. somebody leaves. Possibly very effective and popular. A grafter. A team player. somebody new comes in, who with all the will in the world is going to leave gaps in what they do as part of the learning curve. In a bid to make the new person feel settled, to whom is the blame ascribed for this? that's right, the person who just departed!
    Wanting to effect a nicely packaged handover is very difficult to divorce from what you are contracted to do. It's a measure of your integrity and perfectionism.
    But it is also above and beyond the call of duty if it becomes too much. It's like painting your sold house just before you move out.

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Or it could be this:

... which would have satisfied my curiosity had I read the OP properly :oops: