1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another teacher Interfering

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Oct 14, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

Yes the Illustrious Roger... Yesterday sent my learners, who he has in his group once per week, to my class (while I was teaching a different thing), to gather their workbooks for him to make his assessment of how my students are doing in my class. I was nonplussed and so agreed (in hindsight i should have said no). He has I believe no authority to do this. It was not planned and it seems was on a whim. Nothing was said in advance. Size 11 boots again stomping all around! is this OK? even if some authority was given, surely politeness would mean that you mention it and the reason? I asked one or two others who all stated 'bad form'.

2. Flanks

Flanks New commenter

So you are upset because someone you co teach with sent students for books?

You must be a delightful colleague...

3. CWadd

CWadd Established commenter

I worked in a school once where the HoF, or Deputy HoF, used to come in and help themselves to my books whenever they wanted. It was irritating, but it was policy. And another where an AHT would send a student monitor with a list of books she wanted to check, never seeming to think that those students maybe had not handed them in. Daft. Annoying as hell, but, yes, policy. Allowed.

I think you need to check college policy to see if this is allowed. If it is, leave it. If not, challenge it.

But...this is the third thread in one weekend where you have raised an issue with your college/colleagues. Look for another job and get out of it. Its clearly not doing you any good.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What would you like people to say in response?

Tell us what to say, we'll say it and then you won't add to your stress by arguing with all and sundry on here.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sorry...none of this is believable any more.

6. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

That word again :)

You appear to be a master of making mountains out of, well, worm casts at best.

nomad and simonbfc like this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Why do you think this? He, i assume is your line manager, and as such, he has.

monicabilongame and Eflmeister like this.
  8. coldmetal

not so - not no

9. coldmetal

These are my students and in his lesson where he takes them, took it upon himself to progress check my lessons. With no authority and no prior mention and give my students a deadline of that day to be fully up to dat printing their work, when folders and workbooks were unavailable and i had copy electronically of the students work (emailed to me) which i was in the process of feeding back on - he had no right to do that. Even if somene else asked him to do it and the HOD knew nothing of it, then he should have notified me in advance.

10. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

In my last school book scrutiny was a common part of middle management routine; this is completely normal and would be done every half-term.

So in response this is completely normal! And I would be surprised if it wasn't happening. new colleagues are always placed under a greater level of scrutiny, and rightly so.

wanet and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  11. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

In my first school, my HoD would have a quick look at the maths books of the kids in his tutor group without us even knowing. It was a good way for him to see what was going on in each class, and I don't think anyone had any objection whatsoever. But then, in those days, it wasn't a "book scrutiny" and there was no written report.

12. Eflmeister

Eflmeister New commenter

Seriously, who the f is Roger in the hierarchy of your place? He seems like some all powerful god - if he isn’t your line manager then go tell him to whistle for these things he keeps asking for. If he is your line manager then he is within his right to ask certain things of you - maybe not in the way you’ve described here and on other threads but looking at books sounds perfectly normal to me.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Why? "In hindsight" implies something happened subsequently, either an event or a thought, which sheds a new light on a past event.
    So what was the something that happened?

nomad likes this.
  14. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Think Roger needs therapy.

Poor dear.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My god you are a sad Muppet!

Grow up!

16. Jessaki

Jessaki New commenter

To be honest, if a colleague sent students to my class to ask for books to check progress I would be annoyed too. If this colleague were not my line manager or any other person with a specific role of responsibility, I would be very annoyed. HoDs, HofS, AHT, DH and HT sure, without warning, that is to be expected, but a colleague...no. Had this person asked me in advance to see the books, then I would see no problem whatsoever.
    I have class shared with many colleagues over the years and line managed also. If as a line manager I needed to see their books, I would tell them I would pop into lessons to take some books from classes they weren´t teaching at that time. As a colleague in a non line manager role, if I wanted to see someone else´s class books, I would ask beforehand. If you are confident in your work and have nothing to hide, then why should anybody mind. But just taking without asking is a bit rude.

17. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I'm obviously late to the party on this one but it seems pretty simple. If he is your line manager or in some fashion your superior in some actual manner then it is annoying but bearable. In that case it would be justifiable and advisable to accommodate the request but then point out that it would be more reasonable to discuss it ahead of time and with mutually agreed upon timelines.

If he is not your superior in some official capacity then you should have told the students, "Sorry, that won't be possible right now, have him come talk to me when I am not teaching a class". If and when he does then you should tell him that he has no reason to see the books. Period. If he feels he has a reason he can communicate it in advance and you can then discuss it.

Either way it seems pretty straightforward. Good luck.

18. saluki

saluki Established commenter

I am not a particular fan of sharing classes. The students will always bad mouth one teacher to the other teacher. They will always claim that teacher M has not taught so and so if teacher R asks if they have covered it. The best way for teacher R to discover what they have actually covered and what they need to cover is by looking in their books.
    In most establishments teacher M and teacher R will have a chat in passing about the groups and what is being covered in lessons. In some establishments there will be formal curriculum meetings. Maybe this is why Roger wants all trackers up to date by today. He may want to ensure that all bases are covered and students' learning is on track.
    Roger may be expecting Ofsted!

CheeseMongler and opalfeet like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not surprised. Most of your posts are negative.

monicabilongame and drvs like this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Did Roger specifically say he wanted to see the books 'to check progress'? If you are sharing a group, perhaps the books were needed for the students to do some work in? Or to see how far they had got in the curriculum - not 'checking progress' with negative, critical connotations, just a way of ensuring continuity & progression with a shared class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.