1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another small step away from my teaching career.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dragonlady30, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Today I cancelled my DD payment to the NUT. As I'm not going to teach again, it seemed the right time to stop paying. I started my twilight career in August with a 3 month 'settling-in' period. This was passed weeks ago.

I first joined the NUT in November 1971 just before going on my first Teaching Practice, but we weren't expected to begin paying until we had been teaching for a year. For the most part I paid happily and collected good discounts on holidays, but when I really needed them to fight for me, they were sadly lacking in the balls department. :(

I think I wrote here some time ago about how I met the county rep sometime after I'd 'departed' from my school, and he told me not to worry, the situation which arose with me wasn't personal. Wasn't personal?? It bloody felt personal-kicked out after 37 years!! 56, UPS 3? Need II say more?

Anyway, my next job is to clear out books etc. Anyone want about £200 worth of CGP books for starters? :D

InkyP, midnight_angel and cissy3 like this.
  2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Interesting.

I still pay my Union subs, even though I'm officially retired from teaching.

I think I live in a fantasy world, where all the injustices meted out to me, will suddenly be resolved by them.

A sort of 'cold case' scenario! :D

(And I have tons of 'resources' still, I don't know why!)

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't think of myself as a teacher or ever having been one.
    It was only 1980 to 2013. I'm over it.

If anyone were to ask me I'd say, "Mneewahhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer."
    And hope they wouldn't take it any further.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I still pay the retired members fee-out of loyalty and support. When I needed support, they backed me fully and grateful for that. The re was someone on the end of the phone to reassure me , tell me I wasn't being unreasonable!! And to inform and guide me.
    I still haven't cleared out all my files but am just beginning to leave the teacher mantle behind

5. Dragonlady30

That I do understand. Sadly, it was not my experience.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I gave up paying subs when I gave up at Easter last year. I can't say that I feel I had value for money across the years.

All hat's left of the resources is one box file, currently residing at the top of a wardrobe. Everything else has been ditched and I haven't needed or wanted any of it!

7. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I stopped paying my Union fees (EIS) as soon as I stopped working
    As we were moving house just before I retired most of my resources went before I stopped working as I had no intention of moving them. I took a heap things into work and let everyone help themselves.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

oh dear i still havent started n my resources although a lot are out of day in primary terms with new curriculum. However they are on my t do list..loads of photocopies as well and worksheets.
    Once i start il ditch the lot in one go......but til then...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

When I cancelled my subscriptions to NUT I received a concerned letter almost immediately (concerned they hadn't received my money, that is) requesting the reason why I had pulled the plug. I responded with details of their inertia, lack of meaningful support, bad advice and mismanagement. They didn't write back.....

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I still work..... though not in a state school. I pay reduced/part time union subs..... just in case.....

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I cancelled my subscription to NASUWT when I retired. I'd been a member for over 25 years, had been out on strike when they asked me, and had opted to become a rep for a couple of years when the HT's style of leadership became intolerable, before resigning my post. As a supply teacher I rapidly became disgusted with the NASUWT's lack of interest in protecting my pay and working conditions in favour of inviting unqualified Cover Supervisors to become members. When I rang them to cancel membership I got a very matter of fact response that they'd adjust their database and that was it. The words 'Thank you for the last 25+ years' membership, the pay you lost during strikes, and your service as a rep' never came into it.

They've got some serious customer service training to do.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I do admire your self-restraint here.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes. I cancelled my DD just after I left, less than a week later I got a letter telling me how much I owed and mentioning that steps would be taken to recover it if I didn't pay my arrears in full.

Phoned them up and was told they had made a mistake as it was assumed I would pay to the end of the academic year, they cancelled the "debt". That was it, no apology, no thanks for loyal membership or being school rep for 4 years.

cissy3 likes this.
  14. Dragonlady30

Well, from the comments above I am right to feel let down by the union. II was a member from 1971 and a paying member since 1975. That's a long time, yet when I needed them, I lost 7.5% of my pension because I wasn't allowed to continue teaching to full retirement age and the rep never even tried for enhancement. I'm looking forward to their enquiry as to why I've left!! :D

15. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

It's a lot of money each month. If there had been some form of insurance to protect me at school then I would have willingly paid that instead.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That is a big hit 7.5%, particularly if you live to a good age, or is it?
    Look at it like this, you got out early and that may well mean you live longer than you would have done had you worked up to retirement age. If so, you win in the long run.:)

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I stopped paying once I wasn't in a permanent job - I reckoned it was no longer cost effective. No one asked why I left.

Re: resources - gave a lot to my last school and a young colleague who was interested in having them. But still have lots more books left l will have to get rid of one day. No good for charity shops, don't want to throw away. Any suggestions?

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That sums up my position exactly.....and the day is coming nearer..