1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another slow cooker query

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by InkyP, Jul 18, 2011.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Is it OK to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker?

2. Ok quick query - I have tried this one pot slow cooker thing a few times - but have always ended up with a plate of grease - am I doing something wrong?

3. Not sure I understand you, do you mean after cooking a joint or chicken?

If the meat is fatty then the fat will melt and end up in the bottom, lamb does this, there are a couple of options:
    Pour the fat off during cooking - save it for roasting potatoes

Use a trivet so the meat is not swimming in the fat
    Use something to absorb the fat such as bread - I've not tried this one myself bu I have heard it worked.

4. Yes I do mean when cooking a joint or chicken - my problem is that all the lovely veg and stock seems greasy - it permeates the whole thing, neither sinking to the bottom, nor can I separate it from the stock for roasting. I can see that if you just roast the joint on its own you can do it - but my idea of one pot cooking is throw it all in and serve it all up later. I have seen many people do this and they don't end up with a greasy stock! Still confused!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Thanks for the replies. Actually I put the chicken in this morning before I read them, it was in so long it did disintegrate but it was delicious.

6. Got you now sea girl, something like a pot roast?
    1) fon't use fatty meat, brisket is perfect shoulder of lamb - forget it,, chicken can be a bit hit or miss, some seems to have aload of water added
    2) do not put any oil/fat anywhere near the slow cooker - you don't need it
    3) dust the meat with a little seasoned flour - iot thickens the sauce by absorbing the liquid and fat
    4) cook on high

OK pot roast recipe
    1 joint of brisket
    potatoes, carrots, swede - other root veg
    chopped onion
    salt/pepper/herns/stoch cube to taste - a bit of mustarf works well
    boil the kettle
    lightly dust the brisket with flour
    put the onion in the slow cooker first then the brisket in the middle
    pack the veg around the meat - and i mean pack - all around the meat so the last veg you have to push in between other veg
    add seasonings
    pour over boiling water to cover and leave to cook

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

That recipe for brisket sounds lovely, Sashh, and just the sort of thing I'd do...but cook it in the oven on a very low heat.
    Which makes me wonder - and this is to all fans of the slow-cooker - what is the benefit of cooking in a slow-cooker over cooking in the oven?
    We've got a slow-cooker and have used it a few times, and have been pleased with the results, but I don't see that it does anything an oven won't do. The oven also seems to provide a more consistent heat - I seem to keep having to fiddle with the heat of the slow-cooker as it seems either to be boiling too vigorously or barely keeping warm. Perhaps this is down to our SC, but being a Morphy Richards, I'd expect it to be at least halfway decent.
    If anything, I prefer the results in the oven anyway as the food caramelises and 'browns' more than in the slow-cooker where meat in particular can often have a slightly anaemic pallor.
    This isn't an attack on slow cooker fans, but really wanted to glean why so many love them so, as I'm not quite feeling the love myself, just yet!

8. Thanks Sashh, I am definitely going to give it another go!

9. It uses much less power, it leaves the oven free for roast potatoes and yorkshire pud, you can cook meat for 12 hours and not worry about it burning. I'll leave the house with the slow cooker on, but not with the oven on.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Thanks for the response sashh. Some good reasons there, especially the roast potato/Yorkies one!.
    I've considered the lower energy thing...but for me it's not a worthy save if the results aren't as good - I'm sure I'll hang for my selfishness....[​IMG]

11. Oh forgot to mention they are portable as long as you have a power supply. You could plug one in at work - depending on the workplace