1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another rent a name China school

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zackjbryson, Oct 29, 2018.

1. zackjbryson

zackjbryson New commenter

I have seen several adverts for school in different Chinese cities (1st word beginning with H, 2nd word also beginning with H)
    Not to be confused with the famous H school on top of a hill with very poor ratings on ***.

I cannot seem to find it on ***, so is that a good sign?

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Its schools in Shanghai and Beijing only opened in the last couple of years, so probably not that many reviews for it. To get a feel for what it's like, try looking at their other campus in Ningbo.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I think that one needs to be a little careful when bandying about phrases such as "rent a name", as this kind of infers that they are bad, when in truth, many are excellent schools. February 31st (for it is he) first coined this phrase some time ago but, to be honest it seemed to be done more out of hubris than anything else. The school he chose to work at was always relatively poor and became worse in the early noughties when it defaulted on pay, rents and bonuses for some staff. This coincided with the opening of a "College" which paid fantastic wages, gave great medical and housing and other benefits and generally ran 02/31's school into the ground, to the extent that one year we picked up 10 or 12 of their staff. Those who stayed or couldn't get a job at our College were mightily miffed and hence the birth of this sobriquet. The fact is that one school was immeasurably better than the other, it paid for my mortgage and continues to do, relatively, well. The other school went bust! Move on now to Bangkok, there are two so called "rent a name" schools here that are possibly in the top three, educationally, package wise and certainly for staff retention and satisfaction.

One mans meat etc but do please try to remember the grain of salt which must be taken when reading anything on here, whether vitriolic like..... or just rambling...like mine.

It's nearly Christmas.....On On...

Perce

4. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

I too am at a so-called 'rent-a-name' in China, and, while we work our a***s off, and there is parental and SLT pressure for results, it is heavily involved with its namesake and is an excellent school with an excellent package.

StrangePanda likes this.
  5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The school is a Chinese Bilingual school hoping to attract local students with a brand name rented from an illustrious educational establishment. There will be a Chinese partnership school who provide the school licence and senior management that out rank any western principal put in place.

Salaries range from 250000-420000rmb gross/year, if you work at a micky mouse eal school salaries can reach 225000. A salary of 420k will put 30k in your bank/month and you should be given accommodation or a rent allowance.

The school is Chinese owned and run so the local management can not organize a drinking event at a place that ferments beer.

These Bilingual schools are fine to work if you can put your sanity in neutral over management decisions. The explosion of new Bilingual schools eager to cash in on Chinese students is having its teething problems. Seven new Bilingual schools have opened this year in Shanghai alone, so you can imagine the starting issues some of these schools are having.

It doesn't matter what name the schools rent in China as it makes no difference to how the school is run or the examination grades the students eventually obtain.

The Old Ford School achieves the same external examination results as the schools that spend 100000s of GBP on a rented name.

As can be seen from a school in Tianjin, the named school in the UK has no control or influence on its namesake in China.

englishdragon likes this.
  6. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Like most aspects of life, we cannot judge the majority on the performance of a few. However, the difficulties coming from the so-called rent-a-name schools do seem disproportionate.
    I think we all understand that a school owned by an individual or a company and run for profit will automatically bring some suspicion.
    The exact reason these individuals or companies have aligned themselves with trusted, proven and long established schools from the UK is to provide credibility. To open the door the recruitment of students and teachers.
    In the negative cases, this is nothing but deception and dishonesty; not just for the families and teachers, but also for the UK schools.
    In positive cases, it brings standards, support, connections, traditions, accountability and trust.
    I believe the first of this model was in Phuket and it failed to deliver. They parted ways but now the school has a great reputation and the London based College has gone onto create successful images of itself all around Asia.
    There is hope but the relationships and responsibilities are complex.
    I was deceived by the many letter school east of Beijing but am looking forward now that I have escaped. Perhaps there is yet some hope for the school. It is understandable that the teachers and families could be naive enough to be drawn in, but some of the UK schools really do need to lift their game.

7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

What is an 'excellent package'? That can mean very different things to different people.

The big name non-profit IB schools, for example, can pay around $60-80k net plus housing, flights, bonuses and a shipping allowance that could contain the same as a small aircraft hangar. Are we talking about the same?

8. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Yes. I clear 3700GBP a month, and then have housing, flights, shipping and bonus on top of that.

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

rideemcowboy makes a good point about the south London school. What happened in Phuket was not that the school wanted to pull out, but that the Thai joint owners started insisting on Thai curricula being introduced. The UK school didn't want that lack of control, so pulled out.

10. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Now that's what I would actually call a 'competitive package' ;)

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

There are at least 6 new Brand names opening schools here in Shanghai this year alone. You have to give staff a chance to post on the ***.

Its all about the money! The packages at the rent-a-name schools seems to be on a downward slide heading for an international mean between the schools in the ME, China and Thailand.

Globalization of teachers pay and conditions coming to a rent-a-name school near you now! Why pay more for a teacher in Shanghai when pay is lower in Dubai.

It is becoming common in Shanghai to offer free accommodation instead of a a rent/living allowance as this has reached 12-15000rmb/month for a single teacher. A good way to shave a bit of money from budget of the school.Beware signing a 3 year contract as the school can claim back all the allowance you have been paid if you leave early and they have done this!

It could be argued that this makes life easier for a new member of staff coming to work in Shanghai so they don't have the hassle of dealing with local landlords.

Looking at the tax changes 3700GBP is about the maximum pay you can receive at the 25% band. The changes in exchange rates is making it difficult to decide when to send money home to the UK. The Britext Pound and RMB seem to be falling at the same rate so no drastic increase in the pound earnings.

The new Bilingual schools are offering a salary and package that reflects the quality of teacher they are hoping to recruit, LOW.

There are nearly 250 schools in Shanghai that can employ foreign teaching staff. Some pay as little as 8000rmb/month up to 35000rmb after tax. Rent allowance rages from 4000 to 15000rmb/month for a classroom teacher. Do your due diligence and homework before you sign the contract. The best paying schools are not the ones with the big names.