1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another question...for glasses wearers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Mar 29, 2012.

1. How soon after your first pair of glasses did you need your second (new diop) pair?
    I was told after about 2 years.
    I have had them not yet a year (I think 10 months) and I am having exactly the same problems (blurred sight, headaches, etc), as last year when I first needed them.
    Can your sight really deteriote so quickly?
    It is a bleddy expensive "hobby"!

2. Pardon my spelling. I cannae see, that is my excuse!

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Mine worsened every year for 5 years and then seemed to settle down. I have had the same pair of glasses for 4 years now. My contact lenses have also been the same for 2 years.

4. Lordy me!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It depends on why you need them, as you become older, you tend to become more long-sighted. Which is not a good thing if you were long sighted to start with!!
    I have needed reading glasses for a long time, but my eyesight has undergone some dramatic changes. First after the car accident when I needed to change them every 6 months and needed driving glasses as well. Secondly after my recent op when my eyesight underwent a dramatic change to such an extent that I needed prisms to correct the double vision, however my sight had changed again by the time the glasses came back and I couldn't wear them!!
    It's still changing so I'm making do with cheap 2.0 vision ones from the supermarket, however as I have a stigmatism in one eye, they won't do forever!!

6. Yup. That is me.
    And the long-sightedness. And the short-sightedness.
    And basically suddenly finding myself in my mid-forties and about as blind as a bat.
    I cannot read at all in bad light with or without glasses. I cannot read teletext. I cannot cope with a computer without glasses. I cannot read signs on the other side of the road (well, I can, but they are blurry). I cannot judge distances well.
    I can see, but without my glasses, if feels like walking through jelly.

7. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Buy from the internet and you will save literally hundreds of $$$'s. I bought glasses via the net at $40, Tesco selling the same for $200. All you need is your prescription and if the frame you use now fits you well, just give them the numbers written on it. Easy and delivered within days.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have astigmatism too. I'd been wearing glasses for distance for years before it was discovered, even though it had obviously been there all the time.
    It took a while to get used to the new prescription for astigmatism. I took the glasses back on the first day as I couldn't even cross the road wearing the glasses. I felt about 2 foot taller and the step down from the kerb looked to be about 8 inches or more and seemed too difficult to negotiate!
    I took the glasses off to get home, then tried them again in the house. It was peculiar seeing water run off the draining board into the sink because with the glasses on it appeared to be rolling uphill!
    The optician said that things would settle down eventually and I would see things normally, which did indeed happen.
    I didn't need glasses for close work until this year. My distance vision has improved in the past few years (I'm 58) and my close vision has deteriorated. I don't need glasses for computer use, only for very small print. First thing in the morning is my weakest time as I can't focus on the newspaper crossword clues properly without squinting and misreading some words, which makes completing it extra difficult!
    The only glasses I haven't been able to adapt to were varifocal lenses. they were a costly mistake and I wore my old glasses for over a year before I could justify getting new distance lenses only to a new prescription.

9. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I would ay my prescription used to change every couple of years, more recntly the deterioration has been more rapid. Yes, it's very expensive - not the frames- but the lenses. I've needed to change my prescription for the last 6 months but can't find any frames I like, so dr. magoo will have to do for now.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have a different astigmatism in each eye and the prescription for
    each lense is very different. I didn't know that I wasn't seeing
    properly until I was 21 and got tired of covering one eye in order to
    read.
    With my first glasses I had the weird effects mentioned
    earlier - I couldn't find the kerb and the pavement seemed to run off at
    a very strange angle. When I set the ironing board up I couldn't get
    it properly horizontal...so I thought! When my eyes deteriorate I see
    circular objects as ovals - a very odd experience when washing dishes.
    Usually
    the standard 2 years does me fine but I've had some blurring in one
    eye, usually at night and generally when I'm tired so I went a few
    months early this time. My mother has had major problems with her eyes
    over the last couple of years...a clot behind one has not responded to
    treatment and she is now totally blind in it, glaucoma in the other
    means that she can barely see. As she is only 73 that's a worry and
    means that I am now entitled to annual eye tests which the optician
    failed to pick up last time.
    I picked up new glasses on Wednesday
    so I'm having to adjust to them. In slightly less than 2 years there's
    been a slight, but significant, deterioration in my short sight. My
    long sight remains the same but not fantastic. I wear varifocals and
    couldn't imagine how I'd cope with separate glasses...they'd be on and
    off getting swapped all the time.

11. I go every 12 months and I have to change my glasses about every year or so because my prescription changes- from short sighted to long sighted to an eye of each currently since I was about 15.

12. I am ludicrously long sighted and need my glasses for everything except driving. I should wear them for watching telly as the picture isn't as clear as it might be but this prescription doesn't work for that.
    I've tried varifocals in the past but just couldn't cope with the distorted images. I think I'm going to have to try again though as it is becoming a strain. Did I see that specsavers were offering free varifocal lenses?

13. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I'm long-sighted, and didn't really need to wear glasses full time, but when I was at uni, I ended up wearing them all the time, just got fed up with the constant on-off thing, it just sort of happened. I got contacts for my 21st, and things were great. Then when I left uni, did a job in the real world, sat in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, my eyes did deterioate quite quickly. However, I still am not on the prescription she advised I would need then (12 years ago) because it was such a jump that she said she would do it gradually. Since I have been teaching, there has only been the odd prescription change, and thats only .25 or so at a time. What I have noticed is that I used to be able to potter around in the morning etc without my glasses on, but now I can't, I even need them to go to the loo in the middle of the night.....
    The explanation was that because my eyes are 'permanently corrected' by contacts etc, then they have got used to it and its a real strain for them without any lenses etc, and they have not 'practiced' without any correction for the last 15 years, and have become more dependent on them.
    Mind you, what with being long sighted anyway, the chances are that it is just that inevitable process.....
    B x

14. I have astigmatism with quite different prescriptions for both eyes, had it for a long time before I eventually went to the opticians! My first pair of glasses lasted about a year, maybe a year and a half before I went back and asked to have my eyes tested again. Turns out my eyesight had actually got a little better and I had to have a new prescription. I don't wear my glasses nearly as much as I really should though...

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

As you age you become more and more long-sighted. As I started off long-sighted it is getting worse. I do not seem to be able to get a prescription for everything so I use cheapo reading glasses for close work and wera the others out and about. My eyesight has declined slowly over about the last four years, prior to that it was pretty steady from childhood.
    However, CQ, the RATE of decline you mention may be indicative of some underlying problem, which it would be worth checking out. I guess things might be different for you ladies as you age, but I have not read of any major differences. Poor eyesight in older age was probably originally part fo natural selection in out ice age ancestors because when you got older, couldn't see that sabre-toothed cat approaching, and were getting slow, you would be "selected out"!

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have a check-up every year (free) and need new glasses every year or two.
    I can't wear varis or bifocals....something to do with the fact that my eyes work indepentently of each other. So, I get two pairs of glasses - everday and reading. Each has it's own shad of tint too - it helps prevent migrainnes and also helps with my dyslexia (I don;t need coloured overlays as my glasses have the necessary tint)
    I can get both pairs (frames/lenses and tint) free on the NHS but am tempted to pay a few pounds next time and see if I can get something a little 'different'...not sure what!

17. It is expensive wearing glasses. I could have gone on a few good holidays for what the bloody things have cost me over the years. And there's no sympathy from the government unless you're close to blind- just pay up every few years because what you see is a blur, while politicians all stick lenses to their eyeballs to look less physically imperfect for the electors.

18. I really need my to go back and have a check-up. It's about 5 years since I have last been.
    I cannot see through my good pair of glasses, as they are very badlu scratched, and I have recently broken my spare pair.
    I know my vision has deteriorated, and I am having a lot of headaches, and very sore tired, eyes that feel scratchy. I have an astigmatism, and apparently it can make you feel like this.
    The last time my eyes were tested she said there was a slight improvement in the long-sightedness, which is apparently due to wearing my glasses, but she said the problems caused by the astgmatism had become worse.
    At the moment ny vision is always blurry or "fuzzy" as I describe it, but it makes my whole head ssem fuzzy. This together with a little bit of vertigo, is not making my head feel great, lol.
    My mum is always telling me to stop "screwing my face up", but I know it is because I am squinting to see things.
    I have never really been completely clear about when I am supposed to wear my glasses. I knoww for the long-sightedness, it is for close work, but I have a feeling with the astigmatism, I maybe should be wearing them more often.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It does not have to be expensive. If your prescription is not too complex try "glasses direct". Mine are from there and cost less than 40 quid in that super-bendy-boingy-back metal stuff. Ain't broke em yet, but the screws keep coming loose.

20. Basically you really can't tell - my prescription changed like crazy for a few years, then settled down and was relatively static for a good 5-6 years, then changed again. Haven't had my eyes checked for a good few years now because I simply cannot afford the cost of replacing my glasses and don't qualify for any help towards the cost (glasses, or new roof on house - tough call!)