1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another question about RE...

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by ramaduds, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Does anyone know...
    My school (and guess many others) put some pupils on modified timetable for a variety of reasons. They try to make sure the pupil has some English, Maths and Science lessons, but no thought is ever put in to them missing their RE lesson. Now, RE is a statutory requirement by law, so surely it should be at the very least a factor involved when deciding what curriculum the pupil should have? Or is sending work home meeting the statutory requirement of RE?

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

You would think, wouldn't you... but never is... in the same way, P.E or PSHE isn't often on their timetable though also statutory requirement!

3. The school doesn't value RE. That's the root reason why it's a failing school and some pupils can't be given the normal timetable. But unfortunately you can't do much to change values at a stroke.

4. This unfortunately is a regular thing. We have to fight for the value of our subject constantly.

5. I'll be a bit contraversial here I am sure. But I think if a child is struggling to cope with a standard timetable for whatever reason- behaviour, social issues, low literacy etc- I reallt don't think RE is high priority. I have some very difficult students who are put on timetables like this which include college time etc. I am happy for them to do this as it is best for them and the other kids in my class who have to put up with it.
    I also actively encourage my school to use any time they need for literacy back up- a C in English and Maths is far more important to these students than RE. They need to be able to read and write- some of my pupils have reading ages of 9 years olds- that is more important than history, geography, RE, languages etc.
    My school very much values RE, but there are priorities.

6. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I completely disagree for various reasons. The pupils you've highlighted need a subject they can access. RE is accessable to all pupils, it's personal, it focuses on identity and belonging. It values their views, opinions and ideas. These pupils would benefit from a lesson that they feel comfortable with. In my school, RE is popular and pupils enjoy the lessons for these reasons. Views like this seem to suggest schooling only has one purpose - to learn basic skills and knowledge regarding the National Curriculum. Schools have a duty to develop the whole person, spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, personal development, develop attitudes such as open-mindedness and respect for all.
    Furthermore, if a pupil struggles at subjects like English and Maths, why do you think increasing their curriculum time and foresaking other subjects will help the pupil progress in their subjects? Usually pupils become demotivated by subjects they struggle with, this could lead to so many more problems than it solves!

7. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I fully agree with you Ramaduds, but what is &nbsp?

8. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Sorry, what did you mean by &nbsp?

9. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I've googled it, and it's short for 'non-breaking space' - some technical jargon, not sure...in other words a computer error!

10. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Thanks for this. When I highlighted the text for the quote it came up full of these strange codes. Because they were in the quote I thought you had written them in and it must be some new RE or curriculum jargon that I need to catch up on.