1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another query regarding strike action

Discussion in 'Primary' started by v3884, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I have now depressed myself further by trying out the NUT pension calculator!
    I love my job, but 68 years old! I don't know if I can do it for that long!

2. Can't remember now which thread it was on and I'm not sure which union you belong to, but there was some info cut and pasted on a thread on the opinion forum from the ATL website (I think!). It stated that it encouraged all member to support the strike unless there was likely to be a cost incurred. The cancellation charge could mean your twilight session falls into that category so you could 'break the picket line' safe in the knowledge that you have your union's support and 'consent' to do so. However, this does not resolve the fact that you want to be in two places at once! You will of course have to make a decision about which event you most want to attend.
    I am not sure where you would stand on the pay issue. I have a feeling that the same link I mentioned above had a Pension Dispute hotline that you could call to gain clarification and to discuss dilemmas such as yours. I would check your union's website or speak to your union rep at school (if you have one).