1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another query about Jehovah's witness children...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MsKE, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MsKE

MsKE New commenter

Have searched and can't find any info on this...
    We have 2 JW sisters (R and Y1). We understand that they are able to be exempt from RE, assembly, Christmas etc., however, their parents have said that they may not take part in anything to do with fairy tales. Since we have a whole school half term project planned... this could be tricky!

Anyone heard of this objection before? Much of FS/KS1 literacy is based on traditional stories - so can't avoid them!

2. MsKE

MsKE New commenter

Have searched and can't find any info on this...
    We have 2 JW sisters (R and Y1). We understand that they are able to be exempt from RE, assembly, Christmas etc., however, their parents have said that they may not take part in anything to do with fairy tales. Since we have a whole school half term project planned... this could be tricky!

Anyone heard of this objection before? Much of FS/KS1 literacy is based on traditional stories - so can't avoid them!

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

It could be just those stories that have a witch in them, so Goldilocks etc would be ok. Have a talk with them and find out what their objections are. I've had several JWs and some have been less bothered by things than others.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No such thing. The kids would be fascinated by fairy tales.
    You mean children of Jehovah's witness parents.
    Invite the parents in and go through your medium term planning with them. The HT or Head of Year should be present.

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I had this in Y1 when the children themselves said they weren't allowed fairy tales. Luckily when I explaned to the parent that it was part of the curriculum she was fine and just explained to the boys that the fairy tales were just stories and not something to be believed in. She seemed ok with that - I guess different people have diff interpretations.

6. missied

missied New commenter

I suggest you discuss the work with the parents explaining what the focus of the work will be. Fairies are a no go due to the fact that they are a 'lie' and made up! If it's explained that the work is traditional stories then it will probably be ok.

My JW child said she wasn't allowed to do The Highwayman poem because it has ghosts in it - I pointed out that we weren't focussing on ghosts but the metaphorical language and character viewpoint so parents were ok about it

7. Anything you are unsure about ask the child and the parent.

Yes these children are children of jehovahs witness parents, but they are also witneses themselves. Some children could be unbaptised publishers which means they have personally decided to be a witness of Jehovah themselves.

Children know what they believe so at times ask them. They know a lot. They can also go home and research what you've asked and explain from the bible the answer to your question. There is a brochure you can get explaining witnessed and education.

Witness kids are good kids and so are their parents. :)

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Can I ask how likely it is that 3-5 year olds will be "unbaptised publishers" ? as we have a family starting in early years my only experience is with older children who were aware of what they could and couldn't participate in.

9. I find the biggest worry for early years staff is that they don't want the JW child to feel left out and that they feel sorry for them. Don't! Being different is good, isn't that what we tell children? They have full and happy lives secure in there beliefs.

10. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Haha, you've not taught the same JW children that I have.