1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another PPE Scandal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 6, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

2. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Tory Government in corrupt outsourcing scandal.
    In other news, Pope a Catholic, claims Vatican.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

"Over 2.3 billion items have been delivered, and more than 30 billion have been ordered from UK-based manufacturers and international partners to provide a continuous supply which meets the needs of health and social care staff both now and in the future."
    Extraordinary. That's 500 items for every person the UK.

The outcome will be binary
    In a statement published by the BBC, Ayanda Capital said: "The masks supplied went through a rigorous technical assurance program and meet all the requirements of the technical specifications which were made available online through the government's portal."

They will either be what someone asked for or they won't

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Oscillatingass likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Goods not up to spec is hardly "unbelievable" - it happens all too often. The important issue is whether the DHSC can get a refund if the masks are not as specified.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

But every person in the UK won't be using them. What do the rules say about the frequency that face masks need to be changed? Can a nurse use the same face mask with every patient? It's very easy to mislead.

6. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

From the same folks who:

- awarded a £13.8 million contract to run ferry services to a company that at the time contract was signed, had no ships and had never operated any.

- have a Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government who accepted that his approval of one-time Conservative-supporting billionaire Richard Desmond’s project at the Isle of Dogs was unlawful yet still remains in post.

- have a former secretary of state that breached anti-money laundering legislation by failing to declare his 50 per cent interest in a property firm to Companies House

I’m sure folks can add to this short list with all of the other examples of clean and competent management of this country that these fine people have exhibited. Given this piece of news I fully expect this great tradition of corruption and incompetence to continue once that pesky red tape is done away with.

7. LondonCanary

If they are just for nurses that's 100,000 items each.

8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Alas, not so fast, despite your open and obvious - and frankly, beginning to be repetitive and boring - agenda - and that of the "new poster" of post #2 above (who shows his true colours so regularly now). The FFP2 mask is recommended by no less than the WHO for SARS and similar viruses and the "risk" because it has ear loops instead of head loops is one that is not agreed by everyone.

Julia Patterson is a campaigning leftist activist who set up EveryDoctor. A shame she doesn't concentrate more on her psychiatric work and less on her politics, but there we go. Her pals in "The Good Law Project" are similar - anti-Tory, anti-Brexit "liberals". And of course their politically-motivated attacks and "stories" are eagerly picked up by their leftist supporters of the "Independent". I expect we'll see similar stuff in The Guardian too before long...

That mistakes and ****-ups were made in the initial wild panic of Cv19 is unsurprising; they were made in every country. The knee-jerk reaction to criticism of "not enough PPE" led to large sums being spent quickly, and the civil servants - not politicians - responsible for some of this expense clearly failed in some ways. Perhaps understandably, given the panic and the shrill screams of the leftist press to "do something, anything". Indeed, some Labour MPs advocated that all kinds of weird companies should be given contracts to supply all manner of stuff...

But I'm sure that no fact and no rational argument will prevent @peakster and @Katzenjammer and their cronies from trying their hardest to push ever more of their anti-conservative propaganda. <Yawn>.

LondonCanary likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nice try.

Laphroig and monicabilongame like this.
  10. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

It's more accurate to say it's 100,000 patient episodes per nurse. How long is the stockpile intended to last?

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Whereas for some people any Tory authority figure could enter their home, rob them blind, seduce their partner, insult their kids, graffiti the garden wall with obscenities, nick their car to make their getaway and they would still blindly defend, support & make excuses for their behaviour :D.

For the ‘hard of humour’ folks on here, a disclaimer: this post is tongue in cheek low level sarcasm. I do not really think that these events would be very likely to actually occur as described.

12. LondonCanary

No idea. I didn't see that it was a stockpile.
    "Over 2.3 billion items have been delivered, and more than 30 billion have been ordered from UK-based manufacturers and international partners to provide a continuous supply"

13. LondonCanary

Seduce? Under those circumstances? You are being a bit Mills and Boon.

14. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Does the same principle apply to the 8 Tory MPs who are doctors and the 2 other MPs that are. I eagerly wait to hear that you have written to each of them urging them to resign their seats and concentrate more on their medical work.

15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm so glad to see that disclaimer! You had me worried for a moment. ;)

I quite like sarcasm employed with some wit and thought it was a good post. :)

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

You have to be very careful these days when making a point via any form of humour :D

monicabilongame and Jonntyboy like this.
  17. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

You've missed the point again, but before I put you right I'll let you have a think about the difference.

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

From my Facebook feed. I look forward to hearing our glorious leader's faithful followers' defence.

"I hope the Prime Minister is enjoying a well deserved rest so don’t spoil it by telling him what’s happened this week:

1. The govt launched a “Fix your bike” voucher website

2. It broke in less than an hour

3. The govt said we should all lose weight

4. The govt is still issuing vouchers to help us buy burgers

5. It was revealed the govt spent £400m buying a bankrupt satellite company, OneWeb, to replace the Euro GPS system we lose due to Brexit

6. Months before, a study by MIT found that OneWeb’s tech is 6x less efficient than the EU solution: the worst of the technologies studied

7. In June the govt merged the Dept for International Development into the Foreign Office, and said the move "guaranteed there would be no cuts in International Aid"

8. This week the gov cut International Aid by £2.9bn

9. And the govt quietly granted permission for your health records to be given to Palantir, a controversial data-mining company said to have worked with Cambridge Analytica on Brexit

10. It did both these things the day parliament broke up, so there couldn’t be any questions

11. But in answer to questions about the Russia Report, the gov’s suggested solution is to (I'm not making this up) to ask Russia to tell us who their spies are

12. Ex-Russian intelligence staff say 85% of their work is not spying, but “political funding and misinformation"

13. Which brings us to: Funding and Misinformation news

14. Since 2012, the Tory party has had almost £3m in donations from members of Putin’s cabinets

15. 14 current govt ministers have received donations from individuals or companies connected to the Russian leadership

16. Priti Patel said the Russia Report could be ignored because it was now 9 months old and “out of date”

17. The govt delayed the release of the report for 9 months, and the reasons given were described as “simply not true” (aka "misinformation") by the Intelligence Committee

18. Now Covid news, and Matt Hancock boasted he had met the targets on his “Six tests” on Covid 19

19. Full Fact found 4 of the 6 targets were missed, one target couldn’t be met because it had never been defined, and 1 “relied on a definition [that] does not reflect practice”

20. The cross-party Media & Culture Committee found that the gov’s support for arts was “vague and slow-coming” and “jeopardised UK culture”

21. The cross-party Public Accounts Committee found there was an “astonishing failure to plan for the economic impact” of Covid 19

22. It also said the policy of discharging patients into care homes was a “reckless and appalling policy error”

23. It called the govt “slow, inconsistent [and] negligent”

24. The chair of the Committee said “A competent government does not run a country on the hoof”

25. More on-the-hoof news: the gov quarantined tourists returning from Spain because Spain was a danger

26. The day before, Spain had 2 Covid deaths. Britain had 114

27. The transport secretary was on holiday in Spain, so was effectively trapped by his own dept’s decision

28. Which brings us to Brexit, and a report from London School of Economics showed a WTO Brexit will permanently shrink 16 out of the UK's 24 industry sectors by up to 15% each. Permanently.

29. A Tory MP tweeted “WTO here we come!”

30. Another pro-Brexit Tory MP with a grasp of what's to come tweeted “my strong advice is: take the opportunity to live abroad”

31. Dominic Cummings tweeted that leaving the EU "could be an error”

32. And now PPE contracts, so prepare to begin eternal screaming:

33. £252m to Ayanda Capital, registered in Mauritius for tax purposes. PPE not delivered

34. £186m to Uniserve. PPE not delivered

35. £116m to P14 Medical Supplies, with assets of just £145. PPE not delivered

36. £108m to PestFix, with just 16 employees. PPE not delivered

37. £107m to Clandeboye Agencies, a sweet wholesaler. Yes, a sweet wholesaler. PPE not delivered.

38. £40m to Medicine Box Ltd, with assets of just £6000. PPE not delivered.

39. £48m to Initia Ventures Ltd, which registered itself as “dormant” in March. PPE not delivered.

40. £28m to Monarch Acoustics, which makes shop furniture. PPE not delivered

41. £25m to Luxe Lifestyle, which has no employees, no assets, and no turnover. PPE not delivered

42. £18m to Aventis Solutions, which has total assets of £332. Not a typo, £332. PPE not delivered

£10m to Medco Solutions, incorporated just 3 days after lockdown, with share capital of (not a typo) £2. PPE not delivered

44. In all, approx £1bn to inexplicable suppliers for PPE that hasn’t been delivered

45. The gov still polls well for economic competence. Go figure

46. Meanwhile a Nuffield Health study found after 10 years of "chronic underinvestment", UK is at the bottom of the league table for health resources; and diagnostics and surgery by the NHS will take 4 years to return to pre-Covid levels. But £1bn for non-existent PPE

47. The gov’s “world beating” test-and-trace programme was described as “scandalous” by the British Medical Journal, and found to miss its 80% target in every Covid hotspot announced this week

48. And finally, Boris Johnson refused a public enquiry into gov handling of Covid 19."

Catgirl1964, Katzenjammer and Jamvic like this.
  19. LondonCanary

Where do I get a voucher from?
    (Facebook eh. :rolleyes:)
    Really? I must have imagined today's news.
    Money paid to suppliers or not? Ever bid for a public sector ontract where the money is paid upfront?

Jonntyboy likes this.
  20. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

...or, at least, to whom you make it!

Our local, which we try to support and visit at least once a week if we can, is an oasis in the late evening where we can say what we want with like-minded people. I often wonder what would happen if some woke liberal from Islington was there listening...:cool:

(BTW your icon does me no good: I like Victoria sponge cake a lot and each time I see your posts I feel hungry!)