1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Another plan announced to re-open in 3 weeks!!

Discussion in 'News' started by crumbleskates, Apr 19, 2020.

1. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Did anyone see the Sunday Times article about ministers considering us reopening in 3 weeks?
    Can I suggest all the union leaders get together and ensure:
    a. Unions consult us with a questionnaire about what we believe/ want is right and safe and practicable
    b. The evidence of safety/risk is fully presented to inform the above
    c. There is wide spread testing and tracing IN PLACE before we come back
    d. Insist that any plans/practicalities to open are agreed with a Headteachers’ advisory group
    e. Plans are not put in the public domain before we have had time to think about them
    f.Once open, should infection rates climb the schools are closed again

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There isn’t much news at the moment. How can we get people to click and share our news?
    Run that 'open the schools' story again. Everyone gets appalled.

It is just classic media clickbait. The very minimum is 9 weeks and the most likely outcome is September.

corgie11, Gsr25, Sally006 and 5 others like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

or delighted, then crushed again when it doesn't happen. A lot of people desperately want schools reopened

4. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Andrew Marrs show just stated that the Times article is fabricated, so who knows?
    I, for my own health, would prefer later rather than sooner!! Unless it can be done in a way that protects teachers.
    We are a small independent school, ended up with two teachers in our school, the pair of us were exhausted. Head had to close completely.
    Our classroom's are small rooms, in a Victorian House!! We have no way of making it safe for 100 children to remain distanced, let alone the risk to staff.
    Schools reopening too soon would be a time bomb waiting to happen!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Sally006, bella2891, pipryan and 2 others like this.
  5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Rather like the Hitler Diaries? They were in The Sunday Times, weren't they?

Morninglover and agathamorse like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

They are in the process of shipping laptops and broadband to poor children. The schools are not going back for a long time.

7. rchampion1234

rchampion1234 New commenter

Hi guys, I hope you are all keeping well. The whole media speculation has got me really worried. I consider myself a well read and intelligent human but the panic they are instilling is unreal. One thing that is concerning me is the rumours/speculation that schools will be open during the summer holidays. I really don't want to sound mindless but surely this cannot occur? It has got me really anxious this morning on the last day of the Easter holidays. I have already spent much of it completing planning for Year 10/12 students anyway for next term. Am we all going to seriously be expected to attend work during the summer 'break'? I thought we were contracted 195 days? (I speak for state schools, not sure on private school contracts). Can anyone settle the worry that I have? :(

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How do you know this please?

9. elksnow

elksnow New commenter

This is from today's Sunday Times article:
    When he returns, Johnson will be given three dates for schools reopening: May 11, June 1 or the start of September. If the reopening is delayed, pupils due to sit GCSE and A-levels next year would have to go to school during the six-week summer holidays. Contingency plans are also in place to push back their exams by two months until July 2021 so they can make up for lost time.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Not surprisingly, along with thousands of human deaths, Truth also gasps for breath as the whole guessing game billows out of control. I can't honestly believe anything I read or hear any more.
    Maybe the press should run a story entitled " The Truth to re-appear in this paper -eventually"

11. trayjane

trayjane New commenter

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

You are contracted for 195 days in a full school year; presumably you were ready and able to attend school, but school was closed. Not your fault (think days lost due to snow or boiler failure). I expect you've been working from home...so why would you work in the summer holidays? If it is suggested, contact your Union.

Lalad, bella2891, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  13. rchampion1234

Thank you, apologies: woke up this morning to a very anxious group of teachers on our work group chat. Sigh. Hopefully this nightmare will end ! Stay safe everyone

14. Wayne040493

Wayne040493 New commenter

Hey everyone. I was meant to be starting my PHD in education this year but this is looking unlikely. However, I have been in talks with tutors at the university and have decided to do my future thesis on COVID-19 and education. If you are a teacher or involved in education . Would you be able to fill out my anonymous survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YRJ9GBD

15. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Don't agree-even if you shut the schools after a week or two (point f), lots more people will die. In schools, enforcing handwashing/distancing will be impossible. Cafes/shops/offices must be safer than schools-how many sinks does your school have? How many children can be trusted to remain 2 metres apart, and not to cough on each other 'for a joke'?

agathamorse likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I would also like to know...hope it's true...

17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Do we read anything into this? Over the decades, I've seen fortunes getting spent on 'initiatives' that last all of five minutes. Admittedly, this situation is far more serious, but ust because they've spent money on something...think of the sixteen mill that was allegedly spent on faulty tests from China.

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I have to discuss this with others at various levels - and the preparation is all aimed at long term closure.
    Regardless, to keep R below 1 you have to prevent mass gatherings. You also have to introduce smartphone based tracing. None of that is being helped by schools going back. Your kid comes back from school - you are asthmatic and you support granny. What are you going to do? Disinfect them on the doorstop and isolate them? It would go against every bit of advice. They’ll reopen restaurants before they reopen schools.

19. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I have no idea!! Too young!! :D:):p

20. rchampion1234

I mean i don't think disinfecting kids upon entry to a classroom is such a bad idea, no? ;)